One

As my first semester in college is coming to a close, I'm finishing papers, studying for exams, and counting down the days of class that still remain. Yet as I reflect on all the things that I have learned this semester, I realize that assignments, tests, and projects have played a very minor role in the grand scheme of things. As I look back at my first semester in college, it is like a giant photograph of all the activities, classes, lectures, and friendships. Among the fuzzy, out-of-focus backdrop of college life in this photograph, the clear point of focus is my spiritual theme: oneness.

I tend to have "themes" for the spiritual focuses in my life at different times. God has been actively involved in developing a theme of oneness in my life. Throughout all the adjustments, stresses, and decisions that come with the college life, God has made it known to me that He wants to have a relationship with me that is so close, so personal, so intimate - that we are one. Time and time again, God has shown me passages in His Word that fit this theme:
Jesus and the Father are one; Jesus prays for His disciples to be one as He and the Father are one; the Holy Spirit lives in us in order to make us one with God. The message rings loud to my little ears: God wants a relationship with me that is so personal that we are one.

To think about such a miracle, such a wonder; my mind cannot fathom it. Why the God of the universe would choose me to be so near to Him, I cannot explain. But His love for all of us is so great that He would reach down to make a way for us to be united with Him. May what makes Him happy cause us to dance and laugh. May what makes Him cry bring tears to our eyes. May what moves Him to action move us to action. May our emotions, desires, goals, and dreams line up with His in perfect harmony. May we see people the way He sees people and make decisions based on the movement of His Spirit. It's not that we are equal to God in any way, but that we are so close to Him that His thoughts, His words, and His actions orchestrate the way we breathe and move.

I relate to Paul when he says, "Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on ...toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 3:12-14) Slowy, piece by piece, God is breaking me down in order to rebuid me. I'm not anywhere close to this kind of oneness with God, but I'm praying that each day will be a step towards it.

It is dangerous to pray for this kind of oneness. It is a prayer of reckless abandonment and complete surrender. It is a prayer that lays it all on the line for the kingdom and cause of Christ. It's a prayer that leads toward steep paths, rocky cliffs, difficult decisions, and challenging circumstances, but this dangerous commitment is an adventure of immeasurable worth. When I think about the marvel of a God who wants me to be one with Him, my only adequate response is to give Him the reigns of my life and allow Him to lead me on an adventure - an expedition that melts my heart and melds it to become one with His own.

Comments