Footprints In The Snow

There was a rumor that it might snow on Christmas eve, providing us with a rare white Christmas. But it has been so long since we've had such a special treat that my hopes weren't held very high. Our family woke up early Christmas morning to drive to my grandfather's house and I slept all the way there. But when I opened my eyes and peered out the window as we arrived, the white winter wonderland before me took my breath away. All around, a soft three-inch blanket of snow covered the ground, making the sky more blue and the trees more elegant. The little sparkles in the snow glistened as we drove by, and a thin layer of snow nestled on the tops of each bush and branch like a dash of powdered sugar. Although only a small amount of snow iced the ground, it was just enough to make snow angels and leave footprints in the fresh, untouched snow. My sister and I frolicked around outside like we'd never seen snow before, but the magic of Christmas combined with the surprise gift of snow made it okay for us to act that way. We played this one silly game in the snow where I would make a path with my footprints that my little sister would have to follow. I took big steps, little steps, hops, and summersaults to make the course as fun and creative as possible. Then, I watched her follow in my footsteps. We laughed together as we played such a simple and childish game in the snow.

Since it was Christmas day, I couldn't help but think about Christ and how He came to our world as a precious gift from God. He was born into our air, walked on our dirt, and left footprints in the snow. I believe with all my heart that Jesus came to bring salvation and redemption to His brothers and sisters, God's children. But I also have come to believe that Jesus mission on this earth was much more. His love, mercy, compassion, ministry, actions, and passion were footprints that He left for us to follow. Sometimes those footprints are big, and sometimes they are small. Sometimes it is fun to leap from footprint to footprint, but other times the strides seem too long. But one thing we hold onto: without Christ's footprints in the snow, we would be lost in the snow. Because our friend and shepherd has walked them Himself, we know that where they lead is always good. And as we walk in His footsteps, we have the confident assurance that He walks with us, holding our hands, and whispering, "I'm here and I understand because I have walked this way."

What a marvelous gift and miracle it is to belong to Him, to be adopted and redeemed by Him, and to be given the eyes to see His footprints in the snow.

Comments

  1. Ashli, you have become a very talented writer. You communicate truth and emotion in fresh and meaningful ways. Keep sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment