Shouting Mountains

I have always been a mountain person. Yes, I love the beach, too, but if you make me choose between the two, I will always go for the mountains.

Maybe this is because the vastness of the mountains make me feel so small. Maybe it is because of the dynamic nature of the mountains. I love how they dare me to climb them, to conquer, to see the world from the top. Maybe it is because their majesty reminds me of the very nature of God – His strength, His faithfulness, His immovability, His glory. They make me confident that God is my shelter, my refuge, my tower of safety.

You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands.” (Isaiah 55:12) When I am in the mountains, I can hear them shouting, and I can see the trees lifting their hands to the Only God.

Then, cover the mountains with snow, and the glory and beauty are intensified. The soft white blanket of snow fills the holes and valleys in the landscape of the mountains and then heavily saturates every tree, weighing down the branches until the trees bow down. It’s like the whole mountain is even heavier with the glory of God, and my soul feels the weight, too. It is a weight not of burden, but of significance. It’s like I can feel the importance and power of God’s glory and presence, and it makes me bow down also. I see the white snow covering the mountains, and I am reminded of God’s grace covering me, making me white as snow.

When majestic mountains are heavy with snow - heavy with glory - a new element is added for me – the element of joy. This Christmas, my family went snow-skiing in the mountains, and I am now convinced that snow-skiing is possibly my favorite thing to do in the whole world.

On one day of the trip, it had snowed the night before and laid eleven inches of fresh powder on the slopes. Then, the snow storm continued all day long as we skied, adding another six inches. As I would ski down the mountain, my skis would disappear beneath me, and fresh powder would splash up my legs and into my lap. On normal days when the snow is packed down, you can hear ice scraping beneath you, but on this day, I could glide downhill absolutely silently as I made my way down the slopes, through the trees, making my own path in the snow, going where no one had yet gone.

I remember one run in particular. I was having so much fun that I was literally laughing all the way down the mountain. People probably thought I was crazy, but I just couldn’t help myself. Snowflakes were falling, yet the sun was still shining, making them sparkle in the light like glitter. In the distance, I could see miles and miles of epic mountain peaks covered in snow. I zipped in and out of the heavy, snow-laden evergreens, laughing with delight because I was loving it so much.

And in that very moment of unstoppable joy, my thoughts fell on Jesus. I realized that these glorious mountains were singing for Him, this snow was demonstrating His grace and mercy, these trees were lifting their branches to Him, and I was only enjoying life because of His presence in my heart. And as I laughed uncontrollably, I realized I was worshipping.

Worship is not church buildings or four-part harmony hymns or Christian music. Worship is giving God worth; worship is God gaining glory through the praise and admiration of His people. By this definition, there are many outlets of worship, which include singing, praying, or laughing your heart out on a mountain slope.

Wherever God is exalted, there is worship. So we are free to worship in our classrooms, in our offices, at our meetings and appointments, during our sporting events, while doing the things we love, and even in the simplest moments.

Simply put, I love the mountains, especially snow-covered mountains that are heavy with the glory of God. Mountains are epic, and they challenge me to live an epic life. They encourage me to trust God as my immovable foundation. They motivate me to climb to new heights to see the world from a bigger perspective. They inspire me to laugh, to love Jesus, and to worship.

Comments