I No Longer Live

I can always tell when she is excited because she starts bouncing.

As I sat across the table from her in the student center, I knew she had something important to say because she started bouncing in synchrony with her chewing. She put down her sandwich and looked me in the eye.

"You have got to hear this!" She pulled her iPhone out and read Galatians 2:19-20 from her Bible app.

"For through the Law I died to the Law, that I might live unto God. I have been crucified with Christ, and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and delivered Himself up for me."

"I was reading that this morning, and I have heard it a lot before so I was kind of reading it fast and singing the little song in my head..."

She talked one hundred miles and hour with a sparkle in her eye. Then her smile grew huge.

"And then, BAM! I was like - whoa, this is awesome!"

She pointed at her screen and continued energetically. "I mean, I have been crucified with Christ. I am dead! And now, I don't live, but Christ lives in me. Christ lives in me!"

Her mouth hung open for just a few seconds, and then she started bouncing again.

"So I have died, but the life I do have is by faith - by FAITH - in Jesus."

Her bubbling-over passion for the gospel was contagious to me. I think I started bouncing, too, and we stared at each other in absolute amazement with smiles from ear to ear.

Our words could not adequately express the powerful truth of what we were understanding, so we just shook out heads and lifted our eyes in absolute awe. Here we were, experiencing the fresh realization of the glory in this Scripture that we had read and sang a million times. So she read it one more time.

"For through the Law I died to the Law, that I might live unto God. I have been crucified with Christ, and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and delivered Himself up for me."

That, my friends, is the amazing, mind-blowing, life-changing, whole-body-bouncing truth of the gospel.

Comments