Little Moments

I playfully snatched all the pillows off my bed then bounded into my sister's room to do the same. We robbed the couch of its cushions. We grabbed the blankets out of every closet's top shelf. And then we piled it all onto the dining room floor at the foot of the Christmas tree to create one giant pillow pallet.

One of my favorite Christmas traditions is sleeping "under" the Christmas tree with my little sister. This tradition was cute when we were five and ten years old, but now that we are fifteen and twenty, it's just hilarious. But tradition none the less, we love to keep it year after year. Every morning we always argue about who was the bed hog and who stole the covers all night long and how neither of us got a good night sleep, but then we laugh really hard and do it again the next night.

It is those sweet little moments that make coming home for Christmas extra special. I always look forward to sleeping under the Christmas tree with my 'lil sis, baking dinner with my mom, and watching home videos on DVD while eating warm chocolate chip cookies. When I think of home, I taste a warm cup of apple cider on Christmas morning, and I smell the rustic aroma of a fire in our living room fireplace. I feel the crisp air on my face as my mom and I take walks in the neighborhood even when it's forty degrees. I hear my family laughing around the table as we eat together by the sparkling Christmas tree.

For me, Christmas delight is not found in the large festive parties, expensive gifts, or extravagant displays. What I enjoy most of all are the little moments - like massages with mom, hugs from dad, and laughter with Kaysi. Like playing "Your Great Name" on the piano while my mom sings along. Like playing Super Mario Brothers 3 on an ancient game system just to be with my sister. Like washing cars with dad in the middle of December.

Christmas time reminds me that we need to slow down long enough to enjoy the little moments like these. If we get too caught up in the show of Christmas, we will miss the moments. Each little moment is a gift, tied with a little red ribbon and ready to be opened and enjoyed. Each moment is an opportunity to see something more. Each moment is a chance to be a part of something beautiful, something called family.

Relationships are priceless treasures, given to us by God Himself. He enables us to not only have meaningful relationships with others, but a precious intimate relationship with Himself. What a reason to celebrate this Christmas season! The Lord of the universe has invited us into purposeful relationship with Him and one another.

Let's embrace each moment and celebrate God's touch on every part of our lives, for He is present in the little moments - in chocolate chip cookies, warm hugs, and giant pillow pallets.

Comments