More Than I Can Handle

Does God ever give you more than you can handle?

When I was asked that question, I first thought the answer was no.
1 Corinthians 10:13 popped into my head: "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it." God doesn't give us more than we can bear, right?

Right...when it comes to temptation.  But does God ever give us more than we can handle?

Let me tell you about my induction into the college of nursing. All week long I have been collecting paperwork, paperwork, and more paperwork. I think I possess fifteen pounds worth of syllabi. I have enough information sheets and assignments to last me for the rest of my life...but somehow it has to all be done in the next seven weeks. We toured the hospital where I will work eight-hour shifts and called it "orientation", but I left feeling rather disoriented. My brain was experiencing information overload, yet at the same time I felt like I had no idea what was going on. All I know is that many hours in the library and late nights of paperwork await. I expect many tanks of gas due to early morning and late night trips to Little Rock. Maybe I will learn to drink coffee because, looking at my schedule, I don't see how it is all going to get done.

Now I see why they say that nursing students disappear at the start of their junior year. I understand the rumors about stress, tears, and sleepless nights. I used to tell myself, "Oh, they are just exaggerating to scare me. It can't be that hard." Well, now that I am here, I have come to a realization.

This is more than I can handle.

And I have never been more ready, energized, and full of anticipation!

As ridiculous as it sounds, I am completely excited about this seemingly impossible and crazy semester. I believe that God does give us more than we can handle. If we could always accomplish everything by relying on ourselves, we wouldn't need the Lord. Yet God gives us more than we can handle on our own so that we will surrender to Him. It is when we are overwhelmed and exhausted that we turn to Him in reckless abandon. And it is there that we find the greatest possible joy and fullest possible life.

Some might think that being in over your head is a dreadful place to be. I say it is beautiful. It is exactly where I want to be right now because I know this season of stressful impossibility gives God the perfect opportunity to burst through my life. These stressful times are the best possible grounds for God to display His presence, power, and glory.

My inability increases His ability. My weakness magnifies His strength. My inadequacy highlights His potency. There's nowhere else I'd rather be.

I suppose it is a little strange to be so excited about such a stressful situation, but God has given me a great peace. The peace does not come from knowing that people have gone before me and succeeded. My peace does not come from nursing students telling me over and over that I can do it. My peace does not come from a good faculty or program. My peace comes in knowing that my God is big enough to handle everything. I will be the first to admit that I cannot manage everything that I have to do this semester, but I will also be the first to proclaim that I know the One who can. I am thankful that He has given me this overload because I know that through it, I will come to know Him more.

My prayer for myself, my fellow classmates, and for you as you face the stresses or impossibilities in your life is this:

May we recognize that God gives us more than we can handle so that we will lean hard on Him.
 
May we come to know God's "peace that passes understanding" in the most stressful times.

May we see God's strength come through in our weakest moments.

May we choose to live in the Holy Spirit and let Him produce such supernatural amounts of fruit (love, joy, peace, patience...) in our lives that is just doesn't make sense.

May we realize that any success is only accomplished through Him and for Him.

No matter how busy we are, how stressed-out we feel, or how crazy the circumstances may be, may we find joy in dwelling in His presence every moment of every day.

Comments