Let Us Be One

It was my last night at home before heading back to college. Since my mom and I were going to have the house to ourselves, I decided to plan something extra special for the two of us. A mother-daughter sleepover seemed to be the most perfect idea, so I checked the cabinet to make sure we had kettle corn and then marched to the Red Box. We would watch a movie, munch on some popcorn, and then "spend the night" together - complete with back massages and girly talk time. I selected Soul Surfer, knowing that we both love inspirational true stories. I hid the movie in my desk drawer, just in case she might see it in my room before the "sleepover" actually began. Perfect! I thought. This will be the best surprise! She'll never know!

Later that day, my mom and I were riding in the car when my mom spoke up. "I don't know if you'll be interested in this, but I thought it would be special to do something tonight. It is your last night at home for a while, and we have the house to ourselves..."

"That sounds great." I replied, trying to keep cool and not let my face show that I had been scheming all along.

"I don't know if you'd like this, but I thought we could watch a movie together tonight."

Weird, I began to think to myself.

She continued. "I went to Red Box today and saw Soul Surfer. How does that sound?"

At this point, I looked over at her in astonishment. "Are you serious?" I asked with amazement.

I was apparently giving her a really strange look, and she thought I was disgusted with her plan. She interpreted my question of "are you serious?" as meaning that I thought it was the dumbest idea in the world. She quickly replied, "Oh, nevermind. I knew you wouldn't like the idea. We'll do something else..."

"Mom!" I interrupted her. "You are not going to believe this, but I already planned a movie night and rented Soul Surfer from the Red Box. I was going to surprise you, but we had the same exact idea!"

A moment of brief silence ended in a burst of laughter.

Needless to say, we both thouroughly enjoyed our movie night, and it was the perfect mother-daughter sleepover. I guess great minds really do think alike!

Just like my mom and I have a close enough relationship to think alike, so I ought to be one in heart and mind with my Father, God.

I want for my heart to beat in unison with His. I long for my thoughts to be synchronized with His thoughts, my plans with His plans, my desires with His desires, my will with His will. May the emotions He feels reverberate in my spirit as well. What makes Him laugh should make me laugh and what breaks His heart should break mine also. The thoughts and ideas that pop into my head should be the same as those of my Lord. My goals and dreams should match up with His.

Let's all seek this unity, this oneness, with our Lord. We don't want to be God, we just want to be so close to Him that we live for His mission and His business in the same way that He does. We follow Him so closely that we think His thoughts, feel His emotions, speak His words, and complete His work. When He moves, we move. When He stays, we stay. That is what He means to be one in heart and mind with the Lord.

Let us be one, God, in that we
think alike,
feel alike,
speak alike,
act alike.
Let us be one.

Comments

Post a Comment