What the Creator Can Do With Crooked Seams

Once every week, I drive around town with a friend of mine in order to help her do some errands and shopping. Because she loves to sew, I often find myself wandering through the fabric store while she browses. I'm not a seamstress by any means, and I wouldn't know what to do with a sewing machine if you put one in front of me. One day, as I wandered aimlessly through the aisles, I drifted towards the pattern section and began flipping through booklets and magazines. A certain pattern labeled "very easy" caught my attention and sparked my interest. My friend came up behind me, noticing my intrigue, and said, "Would you like to make that dress?" I almost blurted out, "No, no, I'm just looking at the pictures," but I hesitated. Instead I turned to her and asked, "Would you help me?"

"Of course!" She replied, and before I knew it, I had purchased fabric, interfacing, ribbon, and a zipper to go along with my new pattern.

Over the past few weeks, I have been getting a weekly sewing lesson. This week, I finally sewed all the pieces together, only to try it on and find that it didn't quite fit. I made some adjustments and tried it on again. And again. And again. Finally, after hours of ripping seams and stretching the seam allowances, the dress slipped on like a glove. "Well, one thing I know is that this dress is tailored just for me!" I exclaimed as my friend smiled.

I'm a mess when it comes to sewing. It is a good thing that my friend is so good at it because she can fix whatever disasters I create. My stitches get crooked, I can't pin straight, and sometimes I even sew through several layers of the dress at one time. I get the thread caught in the machine, mess up the tension, and forget which buttons to press. And I am slower than a turtle stomping through molasses. But my friend is patient, and she is teaching me to sew with precision and accuracy in order to create a dress that fits me just right.

As I make this dress, I am reminded of Colossians 3:12 where it says, "Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience."

These godly characteristics are like garments that we are to wear daily. God gives us a pattern, Jesus Christ, that we are to follow in order to make these clothes. And sometimes, I feel like I really mess them up. There are days when the compassion just didn't really fit right and the zipper on humility wouldn't pull up all the way. There are days when the stitches on my kindness are all crooked and putting on patience just isn't comfortable.

But that is when God steps in. He is the master creator, and He takes over my hands and the mistakes that I have made. He takes a turn at the sewing machine and makes something beautiful and perfect out of the fabric He has given me. He helps me to create a beautiful garment - one that fits perfectly. It is going to take alterations and adjustments, but God is patient to work on me. He pieces together the patience, compassion, gentleness, and humility to design a beautiful dress just for me. And in the end, that masterpiece is a gift from Him that He made through me.

Let God take a spin at your sewing machine, and let His hands work on you. Give Him the freedom to mold you after the pattern of His Son, Jesus Christ. With His help, the pieces of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience will come together and fit you like a glove. Then when people notice your dress and compliment you on how beautiful it is, you can tell them all about the one who helped you put it all together.

Comments