My First Nursing Clinical Day

When the alarm clock buzzed at 5:30 AM, I popped out of bed with an amount of energy that no person should have that early in the morning. I jumped into my white scrubs, slipped on my white lab coat, and proudly hung my stethoscope around my neck. I took a quick glance in the mirror to admire my Harding Nursing Student patch and name badge, and then I bounced out the door, ready for my first clinical day at the hospital.

Since it was just my first day to actually work on the floor of a real hospital as a real nursing student, I spent most of the day orienting myself and learning the ropes. However, I did give several baths, change several beds, take vital signs, give a bedside assessment to my assigned patient, and document all my nursing activities on the offical computer system. Oh, and I forgot to mention that I learned how to empty a foley catheter - now who can say they did something as exciting as that today? I have never been so thrilled to be working beside real nurses at a real hospital doing real things that will help real patients. I keep dreaming about how I will be a real nurse someday soon!

From my day at the hospital, I learned two things. First, I realized that I have a lot to learn before I can really practice nursing. But second, I learned that I already have a lot to give. It may just be changing sheets or bringing towels, but it takes a heart of joyful service and compassion to really do it with care. I may not be able to administer medications or assist with surgery yet, but I can talk to patients, listen to them, and take the time to make sure their needs are met. That part of nursing, I can do. And I can do it with passion and love.

I have never had so much fun emptying catheters and taking out trash, but I know it is because those tasks are leading down the path to being a real nurse! For now, I will do everything as if I am working for the Lord and not for men. So as I hang up my lab coat, I already look forward to next week's clinical. I have more to learn next week, but I also have more to give. One day I will be a nurse, but everyday I am a servant.

Comments