Undeserved Grace

This semester I am reading a book by C.J. Mahaney titled Living the Cross Centered Life. With only the introduction and first chapter under my belt, my mind is already thinking about many deep things. I not only recommend the book, but I also want to share with you something that I have been thinking about since I started reading.

It is easy for Christians to say, "I know all about the cross. I've got that part of the story down, so it is time for me to move on to deeper and more mature things." But Mahaney points out that we never move beyond the cross, only deeper into it.

The more I think about the cross, the more I think about God's grace, which is absolutely and wonderfully free and undeserved. I tried to think of a moment in my life, apart from God's grace, when I felt like I recieved a gift that I did not deserve. I could not think of one thing. Everything from grades to scholarships to gifts to coupons are all things that I have worked for or earned in some way. Yet God's grace is not like this. It is completely undeserved! Isn't that amazing?!

I realized that I do not fully understand God's grace, but my desire to understand it in its fullness is so strong. This has been my prayer this week: Gracious God, thank you for your gift of grace which is undeserved. Thank you for giving me such a huge gift that I did not earn. Lord, teach me about your grace in a deeper way. I want to grasp it and immerse myself in your grace and love. 

Comments