Love Flurries

I couldn't stay away from the window. Although there were others things that I could be doing, I could not make myself take my eyes off the beauty of the gentle snowfall. I sipped hot chocolate and watched those little snowflakes dance and twirl. The window was my big screen television, and I was enjoying the show of a lifetime.

Something about snow makes the world turn gentle, pure, and quiet. I love watching the snow pile up on each branch of the trees until the whole forest turns white. I watched little yellow finches and vibrant red cardinals hop on top of the snow and leave their tiny footprints. (Why are birds so much cuter when they play in the snow?) When the sky turned dark, I watched the snowflakes dance in the light from our back deck. Soon, a fresh, soft blanket of snow wrapped everything I could see in it's beauty.

"Nature is not primarily functional; it is primarily beautiful." (John and Stasi Eldredge, Captivating.) God, the Creator of each snowflake, sends us snow flurries not to keep the world in motion, but to captivate us. As I looked out the window at that beautiful snow, I felt a romantic feeling inside of me because I knew that each snowflake was a gift from God. Each one floated down from heaven with a little message of "I love you" attached to it. Maybe that's why I couldn't take my eyes off the window. And maybe that's why I couldn't help but bundle up and play outside for a while. Maybe that's even why I felt romantic inside. God romances us. And He sends us gifts that are sometimes even as small as a snowflake, just to convince us how much He loves us.

Comments