Still Creating

With the start of this new year, many people challenge themselves to read the Bible through in one year, myself included. Being a college student with all kinds of required readings and studies, it is kind of intimidating to look at the readings for every day, knowing that once you get behind, it is even more intimidating to try to catch up. That is why I am challenging myself this year to read 365 key chapers of the Bible. It is only a chapter a day, so you still get the treasures of the Bible - just in smaller portions. These portions are perfect to start or end the day with feasting on God's truth.

Whether you have read the entire Bible, wanted to but never finished, or never even tried, I invite you to join me in this year long journey. I know it is already January 20, so we are getting a late start. But I just started last night, so it is a perfect time to jump right in and start the race. If you just read two chapters a day for the next couple of weeks, you will be caught up by early February!

Last night I read the creation account, but from a unique perspective. I tried to read it from the perspective of the Creator, God. I wonder, when God created light, did He think about Jesus being the light of the world and healing the eyes of the blind? When he separated the waters, did He think about dividing the Red Sea for Moses and the Israelites? When he caused the ground to produce fruit, did He plant the seeds for those giant grapes that grew in Canaan? Do you think He thought about the fruit of the Spirit or how believers would produce fruit for Him just like the land produces fruit? When he formed the sun, moon, and starts, did he flash forward and picture the sun standing still for Joshua or the star guiding the magi to see Jesus? When he filled the earth with fish, birds, and animals, did He picture the fish that would swallow Jonah, the donkey that would carry Jesus into Jerusalem, or the lamb that would one day lie down with the lion? And when He created man, I wonder if He thought about me. I wonder if He pictured you. I wonder if He looked at Jesus and saw Him as a man one day.

As God was creating the entire world, I wonder if the whole story played before His eyes. Did He plan it all out as He fashioned the cosmos? Or did He already know long in advance how perfectly His plan would fit together? And here we are, right in the middle of that creation story. God still creates light in our darkness. He separates the waters for us. He helps us produce fruit. He guides us with His light through the night and day, and He is continually creating us in His image. Our Creator God is still creating, and we are right in the middle of this great drama, which was planned before the creation of the world.

Comments