What's That Noise?

My sister and I were snuggled in bed, reading our books to the light of the lamp in her room. The gentle whirring of the fan made it difficult for me to keep my eyes open, but suddenly my mind awakened when I heard a new faint sound. I looked up from what I was reading so that I could focus my senses on the mysterious noise. It sounded like the low rumble of a helicopter, but what would a helicopter be doing flying over our house at 11:00 PM? After a few seconds, the low vibration did not go away or fade into the distance, so I glanced at my sister. Her head was buried in her book as if nothing were happening.

"Kaysi." I hoarsely whispered across the room. She looked up. "Do you hear that noise?"

She noticed the concerned look on my face and stared at me stranglely. "The fan?"

"No...." I shook my head and listened closer. "It is beneath the noise of the fan. And it just started a second ago. A low grumble. Kind of like a helicopter."

She kept on looking at me with a puzzled look. "You mean the air conditioner?"

In that instant the light bulb flashed in my mind and everything made sense. "Ohhhhhh! Of course!" A rush of relief washed over me as I recognized the familiar sound of the air conditioner rumbling from the floor boards. I took a deep breath and burst into laughter. I had really forgotten about the air conditioner, and for the first few seconds, the noise had really scared me!

So re-adjusting to life in the United States has been an adventure (and often a funny one, such as in this case). Slowly, I have been adjusting to the food, the flow of traffic, the tight schedule of the clock, and putting the toilet paper in the toilet. At times, adjusting is more difficult because I miss the people, the places, and the daily activities that made such a difference in my life this summer.

To be honest, coming back to the States was much harder than I thought, and it has been a struggle for me the past couple of weeks. But one thing is sure: when I am feeling uncomfortable or out of place, God is near. When I miss Nicaragua, God is present. God has shown me that re-adjusting is not a time to mourn, but a time to embrace the opportunity to depend on the Lord. God moved me to Nicaragua for the summer, but now He has moved me back to the U.S. for a season. I believe that He showed me how to be a missionary there so that I could be a missionary here.

We all feel the stress of settling into a new place at some time or another. Moving from place to place - whether that means going to a new city, home, school, church, or job - is never comfotable or easy, but in those moments God is most near because He is most needed. Though adjusting and settling is difficult, I have learned that God meets us wherever He leads us. And it is in that place that He will speak, reveal Himself, and use us for His kingdom.

I don't know what "re-adjusting" you face in your life right now, but I know that God is calling you and meeting you there with His powerful, glorious, and loving presence. May you hold on to Christ as you "re-adjust," and may you find His purpose, His mission, for you wherever you are.

Comments