Made for Community

We all sat cross-legged on our blue checkered picnic blanket. The grass tickled our barefoot feet as we ate lunch out of our to-go boxes from the cafeteria. On a day like this, it wasn't good enough to sit inside the cafeteria and look at the sunshine through the window- we had to be out in it.

One thing that I love about being back on campus for my sophmore year is the sense of togetherness. My friends and I eat togther, study together, go to church together, play games together, laugh together, pray together, and tuck each other in bed at night. We are around each other so much that we have become our own little family in a way. The togetherness that we experience every day has created a tight bond.

That is how I would define community. Community is togetherness.

In Nicaragua this summer, God opened my eyes to see how big my spiritual family, the body of Christ, really is. I used to think of my family as my parents and sister, which will always be my closest family. Yet at the same time, God showed me that I also have a family in Nicargua. In the same way, I have a family here at Harding. As believers, we are a part of one huge family!

I believe that God designed us for family, for community. That is why Nicaragua stole my heart, and that is why I love Harding so much. That is why I treasure my family at home and my family in the church. Without community and togetherness, I don't know who I would be today. God gives us community so that we can be together when we laugh, cry, rejoice, suffer, or need. He gives us community so that we can have a togetherness of mind and spirit.

Togetherness allows us to carry each other's burdens and to share in each other's joy.

Togetherness allows us to encourage one another in matters of life and faith.

Togetherness allows us to touch the world with the love of Christ.

Comments

  1. Hey, I stumbled across your blog! Totally true! I LOVE community!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for "stumbling" upon my blog and taking the time to read. That means a lot to me. And yes, I LOVE community, too. What would we do without the Lord and without each other?!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment