Dreaming Big

My first sight of the blue ridge mountains of North Carolina absolutely took my breath away. Steep rolling hills topped with green trees filled my vision for as far as I could see. The ten-and-a-half-hour road trip from Arkansas to North Carolina had just about worn me out, but one peek at the mountains convinced me that it was all worth it.

Adventure defined this trip for me. Not only had I never traveled this far northeast, but it was also my first time to attend a writers' conference. To be honest, everything about going to a writers' conference terrified me. The place would surely be full of writers who actually new what they were doing. Then there was me - the little fish in the big pond of publishing companies, editors, agents, and authors with literally one hundred books to their credit. Flashing back to about two months ago, I remember calling my mom with a choked voice and tears in my eyes, begging her to pray because I did not know what to do about this writers' conference. That night, God whispered in my ear, "Step out in faith."

That step, or more like a leap, of faith led me to Black Mountain, North Carolina, to attend all five days of the Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers' Conference. As a result, I have never been more encouraged, more inspired, and more challenged in my pursuit of writing and publishing. As always, God outdid Himself and exceeded my expectations. (Why should I be surprised?!) All I prayed for was a nudge in the right direction, but He clearly lit the path for me to follow.

Although the conference improved my writing, expanded my opportunities, and provided me with tools to write and publish more successfully, the greatest gift I took away from the entire week was renewal of my dream. One and a half years ago, God planted the crazy idea in my mind to write a book. This weekend, He reminded me of that dream. If He hadn't been behind this whole book thing, then it certainly wouldn't have made it this far. It is a big dream - a dream that I don't feel qualified to pursue, but that is where God once again whispers in my ear, "Step out in faith."

Comments

  1. I am so glad to hear of the encouragement you received this week, Ashli! Press on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl.... Kerri here... Sandi Ward's sister.
    LOVE your blog!!!! what a joy to see the LORD guiding your path :-)
    Eph 3:20 He'll do more than you can ask or imagine... so if you can dream it, God can do it, plus some :-) smiles and hugs to you,
    Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you guys for not only reading, but also for responding back with so much encouragement! I love your comments! I am looking forward to what the Lord will do next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl...Kerri Crocker shared this post with me...love what God is doing with you..Pray bout us including your blog on our site for girls...www.dramaqueensfortheking.ning.com and also about including some of your writings in our new girls magazine, Drama Queen Magazine. Visit it at www.dramaqueenforthekingmagazine.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment