Songs of the Seasons

This morning, I heard the song of the spring birds for the very first time. It was the first morning that I stepped outside and felt the brush of spring in the air. Usually, the transition from winter into spring is so gradual that I hardly notice it, but this morning was different. When I heard the sweet twitters of the birds way up in the trees where the sunshine was just beginning to touch the world, I breathed in deeply my first breath of spring. I wanted to burst into song with those precious little birds! I had missed their melodies all through the winter, so I wanted to celebrate with them and join in their new spring song!

With every season of my life, there comes a spiritual "theme" in my walk with the Lord. With spring in the air, the birds chirping, the grass growing, and the weather warming, I am reminded of the spiritual seasons of my life. With each passing day, God demonstrates that He has a journey marked out for me, a journey with many spiritual steps along the way, a journey filled with new songs. Faith is not stagnant; God is always moving, always teaching, always working to draw me in closer to what He wants to show me. Sometimes these spiritual seasons or journeys are wintery, and sometimes they are like the songs of morning birds in the spring. Every step along the path is not aimless, but taken by God and turned into a teaching opportunity.

Recently, I have had one of those lightbulb moments when I finally understood, when I finally noticed the changing of the season. "Oh, now I see what you were trying to teach me, God!" Whenever that happens, God is generous to give me a new song. That way, I am better able to remember every season that He brings me into. I love to look through my notebook that is filled with the handwritten songs of the seasons. I smile at the sight of scratched out notes and chords, and I close my eyes and think about sitting at the piano and picking out single notes before searching for the triads to match them. But as I read the words underneath my attempts at musicality, I remember how faithful God is to lead me through the seasons of my little life. Those songs make up a journal, a history book, and a testimony to describe the things that God has taught me as He moves in the world around me. Flipping through those songs is like turning the pages of an old photo album of my life as a believer. I start out as a baby, but each picture reveals a new stage of growth filled with wonderful memories. Without those songs, I would too quickly forget what God has faithfully and mercifully done.

This spring, God has given me a simple song that was inspired by the birds:

Good morning, God!
I start this day with a song of praise.
Jesus, your precious name
is the first word on my lips today.

(chorus)
Fill me with your Spirit, Lord until I overflow.
My life is yours just for today, I'm giving you control.
I wanna worship you,
breathe every breath, every breath for you.
Lord, today is yours.
All I am is yours!

This spring, as the birds sing their new spring song, I join with them in praise to the Lord. I too sing a new song celebrating the coming of a new spiritual season of my life. Thank you, Jesus, for moving and working in our lives, for changing the seasons, and for giving us eyes and ears to see it all unfold. Thank you for teaching us and drwaing us closer to your heart, and thank you for giving us a new spring song.

Comments