Share and Multiply

It had been two weeks since I worked in the garden, so I grabbed a hoe and prepared myself for what I was about to get into. 

Two weeks ago when we left for Ouaga, we had no idea we would be gone so long. In our absence, the weeds had grow like crazy, the sweet potato vines had totally invaded the tomato bed, and some of the corn had bent over and broken off since it had grown at least two feet taller in two weeks. 

As I stood there with my hands on my hips, wondering where to start, my eyes fell upon something hidden under the vines. Could it be? I think my mouth fell open, and I quickly bent down to uncover it. Sure enough! A big, dark green, juicy-looking cucumber! As I brushed my hands through the overgrown vines, I found another one, and another one, and another one! Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to come home to fully mature cucumbers. Flowers, or buds, it little baby pickle-like things, I could have imagined, but the vines that previously had absolutely no sign of produce had produced a crop in just two short weeks! 

In case you haven't already figured it out, I've never gardened before. And I think it's absolutely fascinating that a tiny seed becomes a crawling vine that produces edible fruit all because of some dirt, water, and sunlight. When I saw those cucumbers, I was practically dancing. 

I collected at least fourteen of them before I noticed the melons! The one in the middle of the bed was the size of a small soccer ball. I couldn't believe how something so big could grow in just two weeks. And the corn had one or two ears starting to form on each stalk. The basil had doubled in size and almost tipped over from the weight. The squash and tomato plants were flowering. The harvest was at hand. 

I washed the cucumbers and stacked them on the counter when a realization hit me. Never will I ever eat so many cucumbers, which only means one thing. I can give them away! 

I put about half in a sack for Gertrude when she came to visit, and I sent Ernest home with a few more. When I saw Michel, I gave her a couple, also. And I picked out the biggest one to give to Bombakebé. When I showed them to Mrs. Barry, I think she was even more excited than I was. 

In just two days, I gave all my cucumbers away, so I went out to the garden again and picked out more. Whoever comes to visit tomorrow will leave with a treat! 

What the garden produced was way too much for me all on my own. If I hoarded the cucumbers for myself, they would only rot. Even if I stored or pickled them, I would have cucumbers coming out my ears  and I would be sick of them in no time. However, if I shared them, the joy would multiply and the seeds spread. 


I think I ought to treat more things in my life like I treated those cucumbers. For example, my money. My time. My possessions. My love. Even the gospel. Hoard, hide, or stock it up for yourself and it will only rot. Let it loose with open hands and it will multiply, spread, and bless many more than we could ever imagine. If sharing those cucumbers brought so much joy, how much more life can be shared if we would hold loosely our time and resources by not saving it all for ourselves but rather by giving it away generously. In the same way, our faith and spiritual blessings are not just to be hid and kept for ourselves, but rather exposed, laid out on the counter, and handed out freely to all who come. 

Comments