Ministers of Fire

"He makes the wind his messengers, flaming fire his ministers." (Psalm 104:4)

I hardly even remember my dreams, and when I do, it makes me wonder why. 

I woke up on this particular morning like I was shocked to be back in reality. In my dream, I was in a large house with many windows. Outside of every window, I was watching lightning strike and start large blazing brush fires of terrifying, unrealistic size. They were all isolated fires, but they were surrounding the house, and I could see at least one out of every window no matter which direction I faced. 

The only other character in my dream was my father, but it's funny, I don't think I ever saw him. But I knew he was there and I was calling out to him, and then when I looked out the largest front window where the most intense wall of fire has been, it had vanished, and all fear was gone. 

Most of the time, waking up is what makes your dream-fear go away, like snapping back into reality reminds you that it wasn't real. This time however, my fear was relieved before the dream was over because I knew everything was okay. 

I woke up and pondered the dream for a half a second, but then realized it might be better just to forget about it. These things don't make sense, it seems, until sometimes a later moment. 

Such as when I was reading Psalm 104 yesterday morning and came across this verse: 

"He makes the wind his messengers, flaming fire his ministers." 

I immediately thought about my dream, the fires, the presence of my unseen father, and the absolution of all fear. 

I think we often associate fire first with trials, pain, even hell. And that's valid. But the Bible is also full of references to God being present in fire. He is described as having the appearance of fire as are his messengers, which probably explains why angels usually have to say "do not be afraid" to everyone who sees them. When God appeared to Moses on mount Sinai, it was in the form of a terrifying fire that appeared to burn up the whole mountain. Elisha's servants eyes were opened to see God's army filling the hills like chariots and soldiers of fire. God himself met Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego in the heart of the fiery furnace. Elijah was taken to heaven in a chariot of fire. God manifested himself to the prophets of Baal by sending down fire from heaven. The Holy Spirit descended on the apostles at Pentecost in tongues of fire. 

And then Psalm 104:4 says, "He makes the wind his messengers, flaming fire his ministers." 

What if fire as a symbol of trials and fire as a symbol of God's presence are not two contradictory ideas, but actually quite intertwined? For God's fiery presence certainly ministers to us, and so do the trials that we walk through. 

Could it be that perhaps the very trials that we perceive as deadly fire are actually things used by the Lord to minister to us? At first glance we see nothing but danger, but if we stop to ponder with faith instead of fear, would we not see a minister of the Lord instead? And when we see how good he is, robed in majestic and holy fire, all hints of fear are gone, swept away in his glorious fatherly presence. The things that used to frighten us are now seen in a totally different perspective, as if they are actually angels and ministers clothed in fire, used by God to accomplish his purposes in us. We often say that God uses fire - the storms and tests of this life - to purify us and strengthen us. But what if we take it a step deeper and further to say that these fires not only minister to us, but could actually be God's ministers to us in disguise, clothed in the fire of God's presence. 

I want to carefully add here that our God of love must never be confused with the enemy of lies and deceit, who also sends trials our way only to kill, steal, and destroy. God, our good unseen father, never gives his children a snake when they ask for bread, so to attribute evil or pain as coming from his hand could not be more contrary to his nature.

In short, God is never to be attributed or credited with evil, but he is a master at taking what was intended for evil and transforming it into good.

So, when I see the lighting striking on all sides and witness the fires popping up all around me, my first reaction is to be afraid, but then I hear the angels saying to me, do not be afraid. It is I. I am speaking to you, ministering to you, strengthening and purifying you through these fires. He says the same to you. 

It's funny how we are often certain of unseen things in our dreams, even things that make no sense or would never be certain in real life. But let me tell you something that we can be beyond certain of, for this is not a dream but an unchanging reality - our unseen father is present in the fire, and he makes flaming fire his ministers. All fear is gone. 

Comments