But God

We were studying the story of Joseph at the end of Genesis when the pastor brought out an important verse with an important phrase.

"You meant it for harm, but God meant it for good." 

In Joseph's story, his brothers meant to harm him, get rid of him, and totally forget about him. Potipher's wife meant to lie about him and get him in trouble. The chief baker and cupbearer totally forgot about him....but God used all the seemingly terrible things in his life to bring him to a position in Egypt where he was able to save the lives of many people. 

In Jesus' story, the Jews and leaders meant to crucify Jesus, get rid of him, and totally forget about him...but God turned their terrible actions around to bring salvation to the world. 

There's a but God in every Christian's story. 

I was sick to the point of starving myself, but God took my eating disorder and turned it into my testimony. 

Maybe you were rejected or abused, but God...
Maybe you were alone with no hope left, but God...
Maybe you were trapped in addiction, but God...
Maybe you felt like a failure, but God...

Every faithful follower of Jesus has a but God in their story. 

I was thinking about that in terms with my life in Africa, and I realized that's why we do what we do here. We love on orphans, take care of infants in distress, pray with the sick and help pay their medical bills, teach children, train leaders, and encourage churches among one of the least developed countries in the world because we believe there is a but God in their lives, and we want to help them see it and believe in Him.  

I was an orphan, with no one to truly love me and take care of me, but God...
My family totally abandoned me and I didn't know how I would continue go to school, but God...
I was unnoticed by the rest of world, but God...
I was sick and had no resources to get treatment, but God...
I was called to lead a church and couldn't read or write, but God...

These are the stories we see God writing everyday, and we glorify him for how he works all things together for our good and his glory. 

In other words, he can turn anything into a but God...

Comments