Source of My Joy

I greeted him today just like I always do. When he opened the gate for me, I waved and gave him a big smile. When he handed me my keys to the office I rent to do my language study, I asked him how his day was going and how his family was doing. Before I walked off, he added something else to our conversation.

"You are always so nice and kind."

"Who, me?" I replied, a little bit surprised. I hadn't done anything special to deserve such a compliment. 

"Yes, you," he reassured me with confidence and a broad smile. 

"It's because I am really, really glad to be in Burkina Faso." 

"But it's so hot here!" he added, and I noticed the beads of sweat on his brow. I didn't have beads on my brow; I was just plain wet all over. It is becoming the hottest part of the year when the temperature stays in the 100s until after midnight, when the sun feels like it's about to lick you, and when I sleep with a wet towel over me and the fan on full blast. "It's a lot hotter than where you came from." 

"Yes, it is very hot here. Did you know there was snow on the ground just a few weeks ago where I used to live?"  

His eyes got very big, and he said, "You are very far away from where you used to live." He said it like I came from the North Pole or something. 

"Yeah, and I miss my family and friends sometimes." 

"You gave up everything to come here," he said to me, and I didn't know what to say next, so I just nodded. And then added. 

"But I really am happy to be here. And the real reason for my joy is Jesus." 

I still don't know what I did to make this young man notice me. I just smile and wave every day and ask him how he is doing. Maybe it is just the fact that he's the gatekeeper, and not a lot of people talk to him. I don't really know. But I do know this: Last week, the enemy was trying to steal my joy, and he lost yet another battle. "For the joy of the Lord is my strength." And it is also my testimony. I wasn't really doing anything special towards this man, just being myself - trying to be joyful and friendly to the people I meet. But it made a difference to him, and because he noticed, I was able to bring Jesus into a conversation.

This is an answer to the prayer that I began praying this week. Lord, help my french to move beyond the "survival stage" and help me to actually engage in meaningful and spiritual conversation

It was a simple answer to a not-so-simple prayer, but I feel like it was a good start. 

We, as believers in Jesus, have received the Holy Spirit as a gift that dwells within us. Galatians teaches us that the Spirit within us produces fruit, just like a tree naturally produces fruit. This fruit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. The people around us see this natural fruit, and they want to take hold of it, eat it, and enjoy it. And so we share Jesus with them when they ask about the source of such fruit. 

The natural byproduct of a relationship with Jesus is this kind of fruit. It just flows out of us; it is our identity in a sense. People will notice, and they will ask where this fruit comes from and how they can receive it, and then we have the open door to share the good news about Jesus Christ. 

Even in the heat, even in the discomfort, even in the trials and troubles of this life, the Spirit will produce his fruit in us when we attach ourselves to him like a branch attaches to the vine for all nourishment and support. 

The joy of the Lord is our strength, and it is our testimony. 

Comments