Abide

I gently stirred my coffee and blew into the mug to cool it off. "Hello," someone said to me, which caught me by surprise because I don't often hear English at our coffee break. 

I looked up to see a broad-smiling, kind-looking lady that I had never seen before. She introduced herself and sat down beside me. Unfortunately, I needed to return to my language class as quickly as possible, but she invited me to visit her in her small office at the beginning of sieste. 

After my language study was over for the day, I found my way to her office and timidly knocked on the door. Although she hardly knew me, she warmly welcomed me into her (air conditioned!) office that she was renting for her short visit. She sat down directly across from me and shared with me all about her past years of Bible translation work with her husband in Burkina Faso. Now, they just visit Burkina for a little while every year. 

In the middle of our conversation, she began to share with me the vital lessons she learned as a missionary. "Jesus never asked us for achievement," she said. "He just wants us to be close to him, to listen to him, and then to share with others what we hear."  

"Anything that we do, no matter how great or small of an accomplishment it is," she continued, "is only a drop in the bucket anyway compared to what God is really doing in the world." 

I don't think she had any idea how much I needed to hear those words. But God did. And I have to believe that he orchestrated that "divine appointment" with that random woman of God to provide me with an audible voice of what he has been trying to communicate to me. 

For I have been camping out in John 15. In that chapter, Jesus teaches us that he is a vine and we are branches. We have to stay connected to him to survive and bear fruit. "Without me, you can do nothing," Jesus says. "Abide in my love." Rest in my love. Remain in my love. Dwell in my love. Camp out in my love. Just lay down, sprawl out, and relax in my love without a thought about going anywhere else. 

Jesus also reveals the reason behind all this teaching about vines and branches and love. "I have told you all these things so that my joy may be in you, and your joy will be complete." That chapter is just full and rich in teaching and promises. You've got to go read it. 

So through my coffee break friend, God gave voice to his teaching in John 15. Our purpose in this life is not achievement and accomplishment. It is abiding. Listening. Obeying. Loving. 

And that's our purpose in missions, too. It's not about what I do for him, but about what he is doing in Africa. I think I have the best end of the bargain. People have sent me to Africa to see what "kingdom building mischief" God is up to, and then to participate in what he is doing. It almost feels like I am getting to paid to watch God work, and every now and then I get to be a small part of it. All I am doing is being here, being available, being connected to the vine. 

And the really cool thing is this: the more we abide and rest in the love of the Father, the more fruit bursts forth from our branches. Loving the Father naturally results in loving his people. So we do end up doing good works and accomplishing things for the glory of God and the advancement of his kingdom. But that is because it is the fruit of what Jesus actually wants us to do - just love him and remain attached to him. 

I think I finally understand what the verse of this famous hymn means.

What heights of love,
What depths of peace,
When fears are stilled,
When strivings cease.

My striving is ceasing and my fears are stilling. It's not about what we do, but about what God is doing. We get to watch, be available, and participate in the mission of God by attaching ourselves entirely to our vine, our source of life and breath and salvation. 

From the message of John 15, I pray: Lord, make me better at abiding, better at loving, better at rejoicing. 


Comments