Nothing Can Separate

There is something about the mountains. The air is cleaner, the sky is bluer. And God just seems closer. 

I wonder if God made them that way. Maybe he made the mountains so big so that they would make him seem bigger. Maybe he made the sky so clean so that we could see him clearer. Maybe he made the air so fresh so that we could know what his breath feels like. 

Or maybe God made my heart that way. Maybe he made my heart to be drawn to the mountains so that I could feel small, and so that I could know how grand he is. Maybe he made my heart to be attuned to his presence when I am surrounded by his creation. 

Because when I spend all day in the mountains, I can hear them sing. The mountains say, "See how big and strong God is - he is immovable and unshakable." The skies say, "See how vast God is - He is surrounding you and covering you." The clouds say, "Look how dynamic God is - He is always creating and molding you." The snow says, "Look how pure and perfect God is - He washes us white as snow."  The sunsets say, "Look how gorgeous God is - He is faithful and beautiful every day." 


And belief comes so easy in those moments, in those mountains. Their testimony makes it incredibly effortless to believe. I look at the mountains and I sigh as if I forgot how to doubt. When I am surrounded by such magnificence and glory, I see God's promises as so very true, and I wonder how it could be possible to disbelieve in the first place. 

With only two weeks left until I leave for Africa, a family vacation to the mountains was the perfect place to go. God met me in the mountains once again, and he reassured my heart that all his promises to me are everlastingly true. 

One promise in particular from Romans 8 has become exceptionally meaningful at this time: "Nothing can separate us from the love of Christ." 

In a couple of weeks, I will be separated from...practically everything. I will be separated from my home of 23 years. I will be separated from my family. I will be separated from my friends. I will be separated from my spiritual community - my church congregation and small groups. I will be separated from my favorite hobbies, my habits, my routines. I will even be separated from my language and culture. And I can't pretend that's not scary. 

But there is one thing that I can never, ever be separated from. God's love to me through Christ. Even though everything in my life is about to change, one thing will remain absolutely unchanged. 

As unchanging as the mountains, as vast as the skies, as beautiful as the sunsets. God's amazing love. 


Therefore my hope is secure. My strength is steadfast. No life, no death, no trial, no danger, no pain - nothing in heaven or earth can separate me from Christ. And really, I can survive any change for a season, but I could never survive separation from Jesus. What good news - that "nothing can separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord!"

I don't know what changes you are facing or what uncertainties and separations you anticipate in 2015, but hear the mountains sing this promise: God is bigger and stronger. He is unmovable, a firm foundation to stand upon. All his promises are true. Nothing can separate us from his love. 

Comments