The Joy of Sacrifice

So many things about going on a mission trip is fun: getting a passport and visa, learning about the culture, picking up on a few new words and phrases in a new language, going to team meetings, even flying on an airplane. When that mission trip becomes five years long, even more fun is added. I get to plan for a life in a new culture and dream about future ministry opportunities. 

There is only one part that is deemed "not so fun" and it tends to be the dreaded stage for many missionaries. 

Fundraising. 

As I approached the support raising process and was talking to the Lord about it, he seemed to ask me, "Why do so many missionaries dread support raising? You must realize that I like this part! Why should you fear something that I designed for you to thoroughly enjoy?" 

You see, just like God has invited me to join him in his work in Burkina Faso, I now get the chance to extend that same invitation to others. I found such joy in receiving and responding to God's invitation for my life, so how could I not pass along the joy of such an amazing invitation? 

I love what I have been reading in an excellent book called "The God Ask". The truth of the matter is that all the money and resources that we have been given really belongs to God. Therefore, support raising is simply asking God to redistribute his resources through his people to help accomplish his work around the world. I loved learning that God doesn't want us to save him money, he wants us to joyfully access his abundant, endless riches to accomplish his purposes. 

In view of all this, support raising is nothing close to a drudgery, a burden, or a necessary evil. Support raising is really just asking God and inviting people. It is not so much about raising support as it is about raising supporters. Just like God is teaching me the joy of sacrificial service to him, he is using my mission to teach my supporters the joy of sacrificial giving. 

Support raising is an incredible opportunity to put together a team. It is an incredible opportunity to involve God's people in God's work. It is an incredible opportunity to receive an invitation from the Lord and respond to him in obedience. As Shadrach puts it in "the God Ask", "Support raising is not being a begger. It is being a believer!"

Instead of fearing the words "fundraising", I am loving every moment of the process! I jump at every chance I get to talk to people about Burkina Faso, give them a glimpse of what he is doing over there, and even invite them to be a part of that work. 

I share all this with you, my supporters, so that you can rejoice with me in the fundraising process. Rejoice with me because God is using us as a team to accomplish his kingdom work in Burkina Faso. Rejoice with me because God is inviting us to sacrificially and joyfully give of ourselves. Rejoice with me because God is faithful to provide exactly what we need. And rejoice with me that our God is a generous God with limitless resources. He is wealthy and has bestowed his wealth on us so that we can share in his missional work across the nations! 


Comments