Simple Servants and Stewards

She had light brown skin, lighter than the others. "That's because she is from a different group of people," the orphanage worker explained to me. "She is from south of here." Her name was Awa. 

I instantly connected with Awa. Maybe it was because of her petite stature, her beautiful white smile against her brown cheeks, or her sweet and quiet personality. But really I think she chose to connect to me first. From the moment we met, she reached out her arms, begging for me to pick her up. I always caught her looking at me, seeking my attention. Craving my love. 

So I gave it to her with all my heart. Every day that I spent at the orphanage in Burkina Faso, I devoted time for Awa. She loved it when I would fill my cheeks with air like a blowfish, then slap my hands to my face and "pop" them. Soon, she would just run up to me with her cheeks all puffed up, and I would "pop" them for her. Each time was followed by surprise and laughter, and it never seemed to get old. 

When I think about moving to Burkina in January to live for a few years, I think about little girls like Awa - children who have been orphaned and who are hungry for love and affection. When they may not receive it from anyone else, I want to show it to them in the name of Jesus. I want them to know love because of Jesus. 

I think about baby Dieudonne, whom I delivered in the village, and his mother, who against all odds delivered a healthy boy in crude conditions after trying to kill herself during her pregnancy. I long to serve these people and to offer hope to them when they feel that there is little left to life for. I desire to show them that there is hope in Jesus. I want to bring new life into the world, but I also want to show that new life is only found in Jesus.

I think about Sylestine, a mother with problems breastfeeding, and her sick baby Jacques. I think about the hours I spent visiting her. What an impact simple education and simple attention can give. Those are vulnerable moments, crucial times to share the good news we have in Jesus. I think about how Sylestine and her husband Pasqual chose to pray for their baby instead of offering sacrifices like their family members wanted them to do. God brought healing, and now the mother and baby are both healthy and strong. 

I think about Barto, a young man at the orphanage that I met who has a heart of gold and a love for God. Those two things combined will change his nation. Even though his mother and best friend were both taken from him, he is never angry at God. In fact, he has more joy than just about anybody I know. 

I think about Pastor Valentin, a Burkinabe minister who recognizes his calling from God and his giving his life in service to expanding God's church in Burkina Faso.

When I think about moving to Burkina in January to live for a few years, I think about these faces. These individuals. What a difference can be made for just one person at a time! 

My future is full of dreams, and I invite you to dream with me for Burkina Faso. 

I dream of a time when I will be fluent in French and able to make friends. I dream of building relationships strong and stable enough to share Christ in conversation. 

I dream of many buildings being built on a large piece of property on the hill - including a center for infants in distress, church, educational center, and medical clinic. I dream of people who do not know Christ to become hungry and thirsty for him, to wander up on this hillside, receive our love and care, and come to know God in some way through us. 

I dream of the church in Burkina Faso flourishing and growing. I dream of people flocking to the churches in joyful celebration and then extending their arms to their neighbors, showing them also the way into the kingdom. 

I dream of no more reliance upon witch doctors, curses, spells, or rituals. I dream of no more Islamic influence. I dream of leaders and missionaries rising up from the church and going across cultural and national boundaries to make more and more disciples. 

I dream of nourishing babies and children in the center for infants in distress. I dream of caring for the sick like Jesus cared for them. I dream of praying with families and offering them hope in the name of Jesus. 

I dream of people coming to know the Lord through my team. I dream of leading just one person to Christ. 

Sometimes I wonder if my dreams are too big, but then again, is it possible to dream too big when we serve such a great God? The Lord places such big dreams on our hearts because they are his dreams. Complete restoration and healing is what he desires for the nations. 

I was reminded recently that God is going to build his kingdom in the world no matter what - with or without our help. BUT he invites us graciously to be a part of his kingdom-building work, and he promises to use all of us who commit to serving him. In this way, we are free to dream big with God's dreams that he has put in our hearts, then open our hands and say, "Lord, use me. Tell me what to do to best help you accomplish this work." And he will! 

I love this quote from our pastor this morning. "As long as God is on his throne, when the sun rises in the morning, revival is possible." Restoration is possible. The healing of the nations is possible. Our big dreams are possible because God is overwhelmingly sufficient and able. 

"This is how one should regard us, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God." (1 Corinthians 4:1) That's all we are - simple servants of the one who is building his kingdom on the earth and has invited us to join him. As he instructs, we will obey. Where he sends, we will go. Who he brings to us, we will love. In all this, we trust him to make our dreams come true.

Comments