Twice as Fast, Twice as Far

It was 7:00 in the morning as I watched the sun rise over the open fields of  Scott, Arkansas. The sun was abnormally large and unusually orange. They say you aren't supposed to stare at the sun, but this sun was different. I couldn't take my eyes off it, and it felt close enough to touch.

I had just finished a night shift at the hospital, and I wasn't sure if I was up for the task ahead of me. Sixty-two miles is a long way to ride a bicycle, and this would be my furthest distance so far. But with the motivation of the sunshine and the crowd of other riders in their colorful jerseys and gear, I psyched myself into mounting my bicycle and pedaling off. After all, the Wampoo Roadeo organized bike ride only comes around once a year, and this was my chance to be a part of it. 

It was that morning during the group bike ride that I learned a really valuable lesson: drafting!  Up until that point, I had done most of my training solo. Riding in a group is completely different that riding alone because of drafting. When you are by yourself, the wind is strong, the ride is lonely, and the miles seem long. In a group, you just catch a wheel, go with the flow, and you are at the finish line before you know it. Those 65 miles that seemed daunting become rather enjoyable when you have people to ride alongside you, talk to you, and pull you against the wind. 

Lesson learned. It is extremely beneficial and way easier to function in a group compared to managing by yourself. 

I think that's why God created the church. Sometimes following Jesus can be like a long bike ride after a night shift. You may wonder if you can make it. It may seem daunting, even impossible to do what he is calling you to do. Or maybe to you just feel tired and weary, not sure if you are up for the journey ahead. 

That's when we need the church the most. When it gets rough, we need one another to make it to the finish line. We need someone to stand alongside us, pull us along, and break some of the brutal wind for us. We need someone to talk to along the journey, someone to tell us we are strong and to keep moving forward. And I think that's what God had in mind when he gave us the church. The church is a peloton - a group of Jesus followers living life together, moving closer to Christ together, pulling each other when the wind is strong, and pushing each other when one feels weak. You go twice and fast and twice as far. 

It is so much easier than trying to manage it all on your own. 

I am reminded of this fact every time I ride my bike by myself. Now that I am used to riding and training with a group, I can really tell the difference when I ride alone. My average speed is way slower, my legs get more tired, and (quite frankly) I get bored hearing when all I hear is my own heavy breathing.

Thank God that's not how we were created to live! Instead of sending us out alone, he gave us the church, his body, of which he is the head. Sometimes I think that means that he leads the peloton in the very front, for he never gets tired or weary, and he knows the path ahead better than any of us. He is with us all the way, and he will carry us home.

The reality of my need for the body of Christ has become more and more real to me as I plan to go to Africa and move head-on into the support-raising process. I cannot go to Africa alone. I need tens and dozens and hundreds of people praying for me, giving toward my funding, and filling me with spiritual wisdom and counsel. These people, my supporters - people like you - are my peloton.

I want to say thank you for your continual support through prayer, encouragement, and donations. If you are interested in further supporting me in my mission to Burkina Faso, please join the Facebook group "Ashli in Africa" and contact me at ashlihope@comcast.net. Through your support, you are going with me. You are joining my team and becoming a part of God's mission in Burkina. 

Whatever sixty-five miler you are facing, know that you don't have to do it alone. God is with us, and he has given us the church as our peloton to support us and pull us through. Just trust in Jesus, hold on tight, and catch the draft. 

Comments