It's The Small Things

It's funny to me how the smallest things can come to mean the most.

It's that short text message from a friend you haven't seen in a while, who is just checking on you to see if you had a good day.

It's that extra package of ketchup that makes your burger just right.

It's your roommate folding your laundry when you've worked three nights in a row. 

It's a hand written letter in the mailbox or fresh baked cookies from mom. 

For the longest time, I have had the habit of thanking God each day for my "top ten" as I lay down to sleep at night. Sometimes, I have obvious, significant things to thank him for. "Thank you for the half marathon...thank you for that new friend I met today...thank you for the fresh spring weather...thank you for safe mothers and babies in labor and delivery today..."

But sometimes, I come to the end of day and lay my head on my pillow, and I feel like I thank God for the smallest things. "Thank you for little snow flurries that don't stick and for my grapefruit this morning that was just perfectly ripe. Thank you for a new song on the piano and for frozen thin mint Girl Scout cookies."

And I am not trying to make things up in order to fill out my top ten list. It's just that the little things can make or break your day, which is why I wrote from the beginning that it is amazing to me how the smallest things can come to mean the most.

I am beginning to see that the same thing happens when I read Scripture. It is the little things that catch my eye, that come to my attention, that stick to my heart and mind. Sometimes, I open up the Word and ask God to teach me something, and he then surprises me with an earth-shattering, life-changing truth that blows my mind. But most of the time, it is some small message - even just a word or two - that is just what I need to hear. It is amazing how the smallest things come to mean the most to us.

Like these "small" things that I have recently rediscovered, pondered, and loved:

"Teach me your ways." Psalm 27:11

"So grace reigns..." Romans 5:21

"This grace in which we now stand..." Romans 5:2

Although seemingly small, these tiny treasures of truth have satisfied my soul this week. So as you start each day, pray for big things while looking for the small things. As you open God's word, pray for huge truths while searching for the tiny treasures. And as you lay your head on your pillow at night, thank God for the obvious blessings with the simple gifts in mind as well...like spring flowers, bicycle rides, extra snow days, smiles from strangers, and Scripture that still speaks. 

Don't miss any of the small things. For they can come to mean the most to our hungry and thirsty souls. 

Comments