Move-In Day

"First things first," my dad announced when he walked in my new room with a tool box in one hand and two metal hooks in the other. "Where's your hammock?"

After carrying all the boxes from my car into my new apartment, the very first thing we did was screw two hooks into wall studs so that my hammock would hang nicely in my room. Needless to say, my dad did not help too much with unpacking after that. He got in that hammock and fell fast asleep!

This may sound strange, but I actually love move-in days. Over the past four years, I have survived nine different moved-in days - from my house to the dorm, from my dorm back to the house, and now into my very own first apartment.

I love to start out the day with a simple pile of boxes, and then watch them explode into an absolute disaster all over the floor. "Where is all this stuff going to go?" "Will this fit here?" "Move that back over there." "This looks good here."

It is only a matter of time before each item finds a place. You get to watch organization unfold at its finest moment. What used to be a mess of a wreck has become a new home - a place to prop your feet up, a place to cook your favorite meals and make memories doing it, a place to laugh and build relationships.

I want Jesus to move in to my life completely. I want Him to take the pile of boxes and start unpacking them to make Himself at home here in my heart. It's going to feel like an explosion as He finds old items and spills everything out on the floor. But it will only be a matter of time before He reorganzies what He finds and it starts to feel like home sweet home.

I want to give Him permission to renovate. Throw away what I don't need aymore, Jesus. If I don't need it, I no longer want it. But take what I do have and make it beautiful. Where I lack, will you please replace it with something new? You can decorate how you like. It's okay with me for you to put things where want them to go. If I help you too much, I think I will get in the way and start trying to take over. So I will just be over here in my hammock, gently swinging and watching you work. I am happy here, and I feel you smiling on me and saying, "I will finish what I began."

Comments