Alabaster Jars and Good Works

"Wherever the gospel is preached," Jesus said, "what this woman has done will also be told, in memory of her."

That's what Jesus said about the woman in Matthew 26 who broke her alabaster jar of perfume and poured it on His head.

The onlooking disciples were furious that this woman would waste such expensive perfume. They insisted that the perfume could have at least been sold and the money could be given to the poor. But Jesus did not see it as a waste. In fact, he called what she did "beautiful"- all because she loved Him and considered Him worth more to her than her expensive perfume. There is nothing - no good or moral deed - that is as valuable as simply loving Jesus.

And so Jesus returned honor to the woman by telling her that her story would be shared alongside the gospel story when it is preached around the entire world.

I used to wonder what this woman's act had to do with the gospel. Why should her story be told with the gospel story of Jesus? It is because the gospel is void until it elicits a response. When people who hear the gospel wonder how they should respond, Jesus wanted them to hear the story of this woman. This is how we respond to the amazing gospel of Jesus Christ: We pour ourselves out at His feet, annoint Him in worship, and love Him.

This story really hit home for me this week. As I was reflecting on my own life and relationship with God, I found myself feeling like I should be doing more for Him. I felt a slight stagnancy in my relationship with Him, so I automatically thought it was because I wasn't doing enough for Him. As I was talking to God about this, He gently whispered to me, Ashli, I don't want you to do more for me. I want you to love more of me.

It reminded me of the woman in Matthew 26, and I realized that pouring your perfume at Jesus feet is more beautiful than selling it and giving the money to the poor. Loving Jesus for who He is and adoring Him in a worshipful lifestyle is more important than good deeds. Don't get me wrong: obeying Christ with good works is important, but it is not the most important. Remember Mary and Martha. Martha was busy with good works while Mary sat at the feet of Jesus and listened to Him. Jesus commended Mary for choosing what is better, what is more important - and that is love for the person of Jesus Christ.

I also think about a friend of mine who is actively involved in many service projects. At church one Sunday, he confessed to a group of us that he wants to do more for God. "Don't be hard on yourself!" people responded, "You already do so much for Him!" But I could tell by the tone in his voice that their words did not answer the searching questions of his heart. He was still missing something; He still wanted more of something. I wish I had pulled him aside, looked into his eyes, and said, "Jesus isn't interested in you doing more for Him. He is interested in you loving more of Him."

We tend to sell our alabaster jars and give the money to the poor. We put all the emphasis on good works and doing more for God in order to earn His favor. But grace is not earned; God's love is not bought. That's the beauty of the gospel: God has poured out grace on us. He loves us relentlessly and undeservingly, not because of what we do but because of who He is. While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. And now He offers the free gift of salvation by grace through faith in Christ. In response, we don't sell our alabaster jars to do good deeds and buy back God's love. It is a debt we can never pay, and we will wear ourselves out trying. Instead, what God wants from us is broken alabaster jars. He longs for us to break those jars - that which is of most value to us, even our hearts and lives - at the feet of Jesus, pour the fragrant perfume on His head, and tell Him that He means more to us than anything in the whole world.

Comments

  1. True. Love this simple but life-giving, God glorifying truth.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment