So Faithful

I was by myself as I walked down the stairs of the hospital, headed toward the parking lot. One last time. This was it - my last clinical day. That's when I saw another nursing student, one of my peers, walking out at the same time. Our eyes met and locked because we knew this was a moment to remember.

Never again would we wear these blindingly white scrubs with the little Harding logo. Never again would we stay up late the night before to complete pages of paper work. Never again would we enter the hospital setting as students. The next time we go to a hospital, it won't be for clinical. We will be the real nurses!

We shared a hug and a few tears as we celebrated the mile marker.

When I got into my car, I don't know where the came from, but the tears started running down my face. I had a flashback as I remembered my very first week of nursing school. It was right before my very first clinical, and I had just finished a long orientation for acute that lasted several hours. To put it simply, I was overwhelmed. I distinctly remember walking back from the nursing building, across the front lawn, and to the front door of my dorm with tears rolling down my face.

"I can't do this," I said out loud to the Lord.

I couldn't understand why God would get me so excited about nursing only to bring me to that point of absolute defeat. I was very ready to give up and quit.

And that's when God whispered to me, "That's right. You can't do it. But together we can."

Now, two years and approximately 768 clinical hours later, I was once again headed back to the dorm with tears rolling down my face. Only this time, the tears were of overwhelming gratitude.

"We did it," I spoke aloud to Him once more. "We did it, Jesus."

God's faithfulness continues to blow me away. How difficult, challenging, and exhausting these past four semesters of nursing school have been - and yet how incredibly rewarding. Nursing school caused physical fatigue as well as emotional stress and spiritual strengthening  I have been challenged academically, stretched physically, and changed spiritually as a result of being present to care for people in desperate times, in most vulnerable moments, and in some of the most precious times of life as well.

This truly has been the experience of a lifetime, and I have to say that I love nursing school.

I can also honestly say that I did not do it alone. I have built relationships with my fellow students and professors that I will treasure forever. These bonds are eternal because we have been through so much together, giving our blood, sweat, and tears for this calling. And I could not have made it past that initial orientation day without the grace and love of Jesus, who has led me all the way.

I say, "We did it", but I really feel more like saying, "He did it." Were you to look over my shoulder and behind me at the footprints in the sand, there would be only one set, for He has carried me the entire way. He is so faithful.

Comments