Ain't No Rock Nor Weed

Who would have thought that pulling weeds could be so meaningful?

As some girls and I plucked weeds in the flower beds for a service project this weekend, we talked about the Lord. "Isn't it true that all of creation knows who God is? Isn't is funny how we are picking these weeds when they may sometimes be more sure of who God is than we are?"

I don't think the Bible says that exactly, but it does say this:

Romans 1:20: "For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities - his eternal power and divine nature - have been clearly seen, being understood form what has been made, so that people are without excuse."

Psalm 8:1: "O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth! You have set your glory in the heavens."

Psalm 19:1-2: "The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the works of his hands. Day and night they pour forth speech; night after night they reveal knowledge.

One thing is certain. Creation shouts God's name. Creation proclaims the Creator. And you just can't miss it. Even in the weeds.

Matthew 6 talks about how God clothes the lilies of the field and takes care of the sparrows. I suppose He allows the weeds to grow, too. "I am so thankful God made weeds to have flowers on them. It brings me great hope," I said. Even though we may feel small, we do not go unnoticed by God. Even when we feel like worthless weeds, God brings beauty into our lives, and hope and purpose spring forth.

"All this reminds me of the verse that says even the rocks will cry out and praise God if we are silent." That's Luke 19:40, and it was followed by a spontaneous singing of "Ain't No Rock".

Ain't no rock
gonna cry in my place!
As long as I'm alive
I'll glorify His holy name!

I feel like we should have added a verse as we plucked:

Ain't no weed
gonna grow in my place!
As long as I'm alive
I'll trust His holy name!

It may be true that all of creation knows God, and it may be true that the weeds never doubt who God is when we sometimes do. I don't really know. But I do know that God is made known through creation, even through the weeds that remind us of our smallness and God's ability to bring worth and beauty to our simple lives. I also know that unlike the weeds, we can know God deeply and intimately. And God knows us personally and loves us extravagantly.

You can bet if God watches the weeds grow that He has so much more in store for us, those whom He designed in His image and made for His glory. How can I ever doubt His faithfulness and trustworthiness when I see how the lilies of the field grow? And if the weeds really are confident in who God is, I certainly can be, too.

No rock will cry out in our place. No weed grow in our place. As long as we live, let us lift up and exalt the great God who is worthy of all our adoration and dependence.

Comments