Freedom in Deserts

One of my all-time favorite songs is called "Desert Song" by Hillsong. The first verse goes like this:

This is my prayer in the desert
when all that's within me feels dry.
This is my prayer in my hunger and need.
My God is the God who provides.

I don't know about you, but if I were writing this song, this would be my prayer in the desert: God, please help me. Please deliver me. Save me. Get me out of here. But that is not the chorus of this song. This is our prayer in the desert...

I will bring praise.
I will bring praise.
No weapon formed against me shall remain.
I will rejoice;
I will declare
God is my victory and
He is here.

The difference  is extraordinary. Instead of begging and pleading in the desert, there is the overflow of worship and praise.

It reminds me of a story in 2 Chronicles 20 when the Israelites are facing a vast army that outnumbers them to the point of hopelessness. Jehoshaphat, after spending some time inquiring of the Lord about what to do, gives a pep talk to his army before they go into battle. He tells them, "Do no be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. The battle is not yours; it's God's. So take up your positions, stand firm, and see the deliverance that the Lord your God will bring you."

When they march into battle, you might think that Jehoshaphat would place his strongest horseman and fastest chariots on the front lines. But no, he appoints singers to lead the army. The Israelites literally approach the enemy worshipping. And the enemy absolutely crumbles before them.

Because of who God is - present and powerful in the midst of our battles - we are free to worship through it all. We don't have to beg or plead. No need to wilt or wither. No matter what we face, God's unfailing and unchanging nature of faithfulness and love give us the freedom to praise Him through our struggles, sufferings, and sorrows.

God sees our struggles - our deserts - differently than we do. We see the deserts as times of emptiness, but He sees them as opportunities to fill us. We may see them as lonely, but He sees the chance to draw us deeper and deeper into Him. We see deserts as hardships, but He sees them as opportunities to romance us. Song of Solomon 8:5 says, "Who is this coming up out of the desert, leaning on her lover?" That's us! In the desert, we lean upon our Jesus, and He carries us through.

As I was meditating and contemplating all this, another song came on that fit so perfectly with this beautiful and freeing truth. Listen to Freedom by Bethel and read the following words of the bridge:

I'm free, I'm free
I'm free to dance and sing
I'm free, I'm free
I'm free to worship you

Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. We are free to dance in the desert because of who God is and how He romances us. God is present with us in our deserts; therefore, we are free to worship as we lean on Him. He is powerful in our battles, so we can confidently move forth with praise on the front lines.

Comments

  1. This is absolutely beautiful...and true. Marie Strock, Anna' s Mom, shared this with me. Thank you. From one desert walker to another!
    Lisa Eggers

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment