The Switch from Survival Mode

At the end of Thanksgiving break, I dreaded returning to school and looking at my calendar. I knew that every day had something due - a paper, a project, a test, a presentation. I knew that I had a to-do list four miles long. I knew that the Christmas season would bring cheer to everyone else on campus as they participated in Christmas movies, functions, parties, and events...everyone except the nursing students.

So I went into survival mode. If I can just survive the next three weeks, then it will be Christmas. Just focus on one day at a time, turning in what needs to be done and only working on what absolutely must be accomplished next. Nineteen days and it will  all be over and done. I'll sleep when I'm dead...

But then I remembered my word for the semester. Presence. And I realized that graduation is only one semester away. And I love Harding. And I really don't want time to fly by. Because I don't want to blink and miss it all. I want to be present in every moment - enjoying my work and my play, enjoying my relationships, enjoying my God and this life He has given me and filled with Himself.

So when my mom asked me how she could pray for my last three weeks at school, I changed my request because I had changed my attitude. "Please pray for me to enjoy my work."

God has answered my prayer. Instead of just surviving, I am thriving. And I truly believe it is because I am choosing to be present.

But what does that really look like in real life? Yesterday, I had the same busy day as always, but I had joy all the way through it. I even had energy left at the end of the day. I'm no expert, but here are my tips for being present and thriving in your busy, stressful, and even normal days:

1. Take time for intentional prayer and Bible study. Start out the morning with a few minutes of quiet devotional time just with you and the Lord. Be intentional about hearing from God during this time, and make plans to live according to what He reveals to you.

2. Take time for refresher prayer and Bible study. Although that solid devotional time every day is a neccessary boost, don't expect it to last all day long. You will forget. You will be tempted to get stressed or angry or discouraged or whatever. That's why you need refreshers throughout the day. Spend spare moments in short whispered prayers. Read, write down, or quote Scripture as frequently as you think about it. This keeps God'd Word fresh in your heart and close to your thoughts.

3. Take time for re-centering. It is easy to forget our purpose. Spend some time every day remembering who you are, who God is, and what it means to live for Him. For me personally, I try to share the gospel with myself every day. I also remind myself that my most important priority and purpose is to serve and love God and others. I also set daily goals for myself, which are usually based on what I read in my Bible that day. This re-centering keeps everything in perspective.

4. Take time for thanksgiving. You can do this every day by setting up some kind of reminder or forming some kind of habit. For example, set an alarm on your phone reminding you to be thankful at a certain time each day. Thank God before every meal or every night before bed. Thank Him everytime you get in your car or while walking between classes. Soon, these things will become habit and you will thank God  more frequently and joyfully.

5. Take time for relationships. Intentionally set up one relationship-centered activity every day. No matter how busy we are, we can make time for friendships. Set up a 30-minute coffee date, eat lunch with a friend, decide to work on homework with a companion, or go to a small group Bible study or devotional.

6. Take time for self-care. Schedule at least 20 minutes of something you enjoy every day. Do something for yourself like buy a warm drink, take a walk outdoors, play the piano, take a warm shower, or make a long-distance call to a friend.

When I applied these six things to my day yesterday, I went through the same busy day as always with a totally different result. God has answered my prayer. Replace the dread with joy. Replace the stress with love. Replace the struggle to survive with the energy to thrive. Replace the feeling rushed with being present.

This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it. (Psalm 118:24)

Comments