A Lasting Thanksgiving

When our small group Bible study gathered together on Sunday night after Thanksgiving break, we opened our Bibles to Nehemiah 12 to continue our semester-long study of Nehemiah. I opened the discussion by announcing that our focus for the night was on thanksgiving. "Which I think is appropriate," I said as I smiled.

Playfully and sarcastically, one of my friends replied, "Ashli, don't you realize that Thanksgiving is over?"

That's just it: For the follower of Jesus Christ, thanksgiving is never over.

As a group, we shared our thoughts on the meaning of thanksgiving. First, we talked about how we should practice Thanksgiving even in difficult situations - in those times when you really don't feel thankful for anything. It is in those moments that we should practice the spiritual discipine of thankgiving by actually thanking God for the very thing that we are struggling to appreciate.

Looking back, I see how this is true. Five years ago, when I was diagnosed with an eating disorder, I hated it. Now, I see how God used that battle to strengthen my relationship with Him in ways that I would never ever change. My story has been turned into a book that is going to be published, which will enable others to benefit from my testimony to God's faithfulness. I am so thankful for my eating disorder. If only I could have thanked God from the very beginning because that intentional thanksgiving would have opened my heart to see and trust God more.

Next, we talked as a group about how thanksgiving should be the fluent language of Christians. While gossip, slander, lies, and coarse joking come so easily out of the mouths of others, we should be known as a people of thankfulness. Thanksgiving should flow easily from our tongues and taste sweet on our lips. Thanksgiving is the dialect of those who know and love Jesus.

Some excerpts from Jesus Calling fit perfectly with these thoughts:

"Thankfulness takes the sting out of adversity. This is why I have instructed you to give thanks for everything. There is an element of mystery in this transaction: You give me thanks (regardless of your feelings) and I give you Joy (regardless of your circumstances). This is a spiritual act of obedience - at times, blind obedience."

"When your mind is occupied with thanking me, you have no time for worrying or complaining. If you practice thanksgiving consistently, negative thought patterns will gradually grow weaker and weaker."

"How precious are my children who remember to thank me at all times. They can walk through the darkest day with Joy in their hearts."

This is why Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, and the time around it is my favorite time of the year. I love it so much, that I am ready for it to last forever. Let's celebrate a lasting thanksgiving.

Comments