Like a Leaf

As I was walking back to the dorm at 5:00 PM after a long day of classes, my eyes were drawn to this one beautiful fall tree.

The sun was setting directly in front of me, and its beams of warm light shone right through the bright orange leaves of this tree, illuminating its colors so that the leaves actually appeared to glow. It was the closest thing I have ever seen to a burning bush.

I don't typically think of leaves as translucent things, but these leaves absolutely were, especially as the sun's rays hit them just right. I stopped to marvel for just a second, and then I picked one perfect leaf and held it up to the sunlight as I continued walking all the way back to the dorm.

I set the leaf on my desk, planning to press it to retain its color. I put my books away and then returned to my desk, only to notice that my leaf was...brown. Sitting on my desk in the artificial light of the room, that leaf looked ordinarily dull, kind of like it was half dead already. I puzzled for a moment, slightly disappointed, but then I picked up the little leaf and held it up by the window against the fading light of the setting sun. Immediately, it regained its beautiful fiery-orange color, and I smiled as I pondered the spiritual application of this little leaf.

I kept that leaf on my desk for a long time as a subtle reminder that without Christ, I am like a dull, brown, dead leaf. But connected to the vine, I am alive and radiant. With heavenly glory shining not only around and in, but also through, I am fiery-beautiful and a reflection of the brilliance of the Son.

Comments