Returning Unconditional Love

I have been reading an excellent book by Shannon Ethridge entitled "Completely His". In the chapters I read last night, I learned that I often spend time with God expecting something in return. I come into His presence asking for strength, asking for help, asking for something. It is a rare occasion for me to come into God's presence with no expectations except to gain more of Him. Not to gain help. Not to gain answers. Not to gain spirituality. Just to gain more of Him.

It is not that God doesn't want to help us. It is not that He doesn't want us come to Him with our petitions and concerns; He absolutely does. But there is great reward in just resting in God's presence with no expectations, wants, or needs - just simply coming to sit at His feet, rest in His arms, and feel His breath and heartbeat.

This morning I read 1 Timothy 6:6, which says, "But godliness with contentment is great gain." Reminding me of my thoughts the night before, the word "contentment" leaped off the page. Godliness with contentment means expecting no extra reward or spiritual favor for our service to the Holy One. It means that knowing and following God is enough in and of itself. Loving Him in this way is great gain. Coming to God with contentment means not needing or asking anything extra of Him, but just basking in who He is. It is letting who He is be enough for us.

As I read His Word, I heard God say to me, "I love you not because of what you do but because of who you are. There is nothing you could do or not do that would make me love you less."

In return, I told Him the same thing. "Oh Lord, I love you not because of what you do but because of who you are. There is nothing you could do or not do that would make me love you less."

I have always been taught that God loves me unconditionally, but I had never thought about loving Him unconditionally in return.

Today, for the first time ever, I told God that I loved Him no matter what. I love Him for who He is and not what He does. That is because I know that His amazing love overflows into His actions, so He never acts in a way that is contrary to His love for us. No matter what happens today, whether blessing or disaster, we can still love God. And we can still come to Him just to be in His presence - to gain nothing else but more of Him. This is loving God with contentment, and it brings much gain.

Such unconditional love He that He has for us inspires us, even compels us, to return that same unconditional love to Him.

When I closed my Bible, I took a deep breath, sank back into my chair in the Benson auditorium, and waited for our daily chapel gathering to begin. Guess what song we sang.

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise.
When the darkness closes in, Lord,
Still I will say:

Blessed be the name of the Lord,
Blessed be Your name.
Blessed be the name of the Lord,
Blessed be Your glorious name.


I have never sung with such contentment. Nor have I sung with such joy in returning the unconditional love.

Comments

  1. What an awesome insight that we should love God unconditionally, for the things He allows and the things He does not prevent, our love does not change because we trust in His unfailing love. xoxmom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment