Like Kites on a Windy Day

My mouth dropped open when she asked me, "Do you wanna fly a kite? I have four in my trunk." Normally, I would not have been so surprised at such a question, but today was a little different.

This past Sunday, I celebrated a Sabbath day - a day of rest from school and stress in general. I made no plans, no appointments, no study sessions. I enjoyed playing keys at church all morning, took a lunch break afterwards, and then hit the front lawn with frisbee and friends. We played in the sunshine for almost three hours, alternating between throwing the frisbee, relaxing on a picnic blanket, and swinging in our hammocks - which happen to be three of my favorite things in the whole world. As the wind blew across the lawn, I thought to myself, if only I had a kite...that would make four of my favorite things all in one day. But what college kid has a kite?

Later that evening, I met with my community group from church for a bonfire, complete with s'mores - two more of my favorite things. That's when my friend yelled, "Hey I have four kites in my trunk. You wanna fly one?" My mouth dropped open as I realized that my unspoken request, that which was whispered in my heart earlier that afternoon, was heard in heaven. As crazy as it sounds, God gave me a kite.

I usually don't pay too much attention to the little things in life because I get caught up in the bigger things - the stresses and anxieties and such. But, as I have written about earlier, I am starting to keep a little notebook of one thousand things that I love. One thousand things that I am thankful for. One thousand reasons to praise God.

Normally, a kite would bring a smile to my face, and that's about all. But today, when I flew that kite, its string let all the way out, I thought to myself, I love flying kites. I am going to add this to my list. Thank you, Jesus, for kites. Thank you for sending me a kite today to fly... Soon, my thanksgiving turned to praise and adoration. The kite became a reminder, a trigger, for worship.

The more I look, the more I find that the small blessings are all triggers for worship. When I see the first dandelion of spring, I say, "I love dandelions! I am going to add that to my list. Thank you, God, for dandelions..." and before I know it, I am worshiping again.

Ever since I started this list of one thousand things, I have spent countless moments in worship. I feel as if I am worshiping all the time because I am constantly finding things that I love, which turn into things to be thankful for, which turn into things to praise God for, which all turns into simple and beautiful worship.

Thankfulness brings forth worship.

That night at the cookout, after flying my kite, I popped open a bottle of grape soda and announced out loud before even thinking about it, "I love grape soda!" As soon as I said it, I realized that this, too, was a moment to worship. So I began to praise God once again, not for the grape soda, but for His generous and abundant love and faithfulness. I thanked Him for thinking of me and sending me random acts of kindness, like kites on a windy day.

Comments