One Thousand Loves

In her book, One Thousand Gifts, Ann Voskamp says, "Joy is the realest reality, the fullest life, and joy is always given, never grasped. God gives gifts and I give thanks and I unwrap the gift given: joy."

The theme of her book is thanksgiving as the ultimate pursuit and blessing for life. Thankfulness is the secret, the key, to receiving the gift of joy that God wants to give us. Even Jesus exemplified this kind of thankfulness that we are to seek after. "And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me." (Luke 22:19) Before the miracle of the feeding of the five thousand, "he gave thanks and broke the loaves." (Matthew 19:14) Thanksgiving came before the miracle.

In the chapter that I read this week, Voskamp told the story of how she was challenged when someone asked her, "Can you list one thousand things that you love?" In response, she started making a list of one thousand things that she loves. The process of writing that list turned into an overflow of thanksgiving. It became an expression of adoration. It was worship. And through it, she began to discover joy - that real joy, the fullest life kind of joy, the joy that can only be given and can never be grasped.

And so I, too, am challenged. Can I make a list of one thousand things that I love, one thousand things for which I am thankful?

I purchased a small notebook - one that will fit nicely in my pocket or purse so that I can carry it with me all the time. I carry this little offering of thankfulness, this key to joyful living, with me wherever I go. Yet this is so much more than another list to make; it is a commitment to a new kind of living and knowing God. It is finding joy in the little things. It is unwrapping God's gifts moment and by moment, becoming more aware of His generosity and abundance. It is looking for the holy in the common place. It is becoming more aware of God's presence in the small moments of the day. It is seeing something more.

1. a gentle breeze on a sunny spring day
2. echoes of laughter
3. God's powerful word speaking right to my heart

The more I am thankful, the more I find it hard to be discouraged. The more I am thankful, the more I worship, and the more I worship, the less I worry. Stress is swept away in the presence of praise. Even on the worst days, I still see that God is giving me grace. Even in the roughest circumstances, God never ceases to give good gifts.

7. the melodious crescendo before the bridge of a song
8. strawberry sundaes
9. the body of Christ with all its gifts blending together, each unique and vital

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." (Philippians 4:6)

14. the sound of a beating heart through my stethoscope
15. phone calls from my sister
16. putting mango-mandarin lotion on my feet right before bed

"Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name." (Psalm 100:4)

22. God's amazing ability to turn ashes into beauty
23. the sound of ivory piano keys
24. eating dinner with friends in the cafeteria

"Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving." (Ephesians 5:4)

31. the small chill-bumps on my arms when I wear a t-shirt without a jacket for the first time in early spring
32. God's heart for the world, every nation, tribe, and people
33. salvation, undeserved, by grace, in the name of Jesus Christ

Out of thankfulness comes worship, and this worship unwraps the gift of the fullest possible joy, no matter what the day may bring.

Open my eyes, Lord, to see your presence, your hand, your faithfulness, and your love in all things, both big and small. Give me a thankful heart, that I may find joy in all places, even unexpected ones. Hold my hand and empower to live constantly in an attitude of worship, adoration, and thankfulness to you for who you are and what you do. May the world notice and ask me, so that I may testify to your grace, your abundance, your beauty, and your holiness. In your presence, I find life to the full.

Can you list one thousand things that you love?

Comments

  1. I loved that the more I am thankful, the more I worship, the more I worship, the less I worry. Stress is swept away in the presence of praise. That is now on an index card by the computer. I gave Vanessa that book for her b-day! Where did you get it? I love the new blog wallpaper! So did Kaysi :)
    Love you, xoxmom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment