Can I Ever Say Enough?

How can I keep from singing your praise? How can I ever say enough? How amazing is your love!

As I sang these words by Chris Tomlin tonight, they had a little more meaning than they normally do. 

Nursing school is keeping me so busy that I have a much smaller amount of time than I normally have to devote to personal devotion and spiritual disciplines. I am still enjoying moments of "quiet time" daily, but it seems like so little compared to the extended amounts of time that I had during the summer when my schedule was much less full.

But God, in His mercy and love, has recognized my hectic schedule. He realizes that I desire to grow spiritually in spite of my crazy life right now, so He has generously given me a little gift to help me along the way: spiritual conversations. I may not have hours upon hours to spend with Him every day, but He knows that, and so He sweetly fills my day with His presence through things as simple as spiritual conversation.

I can't count how many of these surprise spiritual conversations I have enjoyed this week. They always pop up when I am least suspecting them but most in need of them. Whether it is in the cafeteria, in the car, during my clinical, or just hanging out with friends, somehow the conversation starts to drift toward spiritual themes. Before I know it, we are engaging in a deep and encouraging spiritual discussion. Sometimes I wish I had a tape recorder to play back the conversation because I really wonder how we got there in the first place. And these conversations are never forced, they just flow naturally from hearts who are in love with the Lord.

The best part is that I always walk away with a smile on my face and a skip in my step. I leave the conversation feeling more encouraged, more empowered, more motivated. Each exchange is a reminder of who God is and how His presence permeates every moment of every day. Every time I get to talk to someone about the Lord, I feel His presence there with us, and I am refreshed.

Usually when I think about how God has been speaking to me, I think back to what He has taught me through His Word or a recent sermon or devotional. But this week, God spoke to me through spiritual conversations. As a result of talking about Him openly, freely, and without shame, I have learned more about Him and grown a little closer to Him.

I think we should start talking about Him more often.

How can I ever say enough? How amazing is your love!

Comments