"We're the Old Group"

One of the biggest newfound blessings of my semester thus far has been my community group. A community group is a small group, home Bible study that is a part of the church that I attend, Fellowship Bible Church. We meet almost every Sunday night for a time of fellowship by eating a meal together and studying together, whether that is a book study or a Bible study. It has been wonderful for me to not only get plugged into the church that I attend, but also to get to know people (other than college students) in the church and share a spiritual experience with them.

When I first thought about joining a community group, I went to the community group kick-off at the beginning of the semester. At the kick-off, each community group had a table where you could meet the leaders and talk to them about their group, which would in turn help you decide which group to join. As I walked from table to table, I found it very hard to pick one group because they were all so good! But one table immediately caught my attention as soon as I approached them.

"We are the old group!" a little gray-haired man said proudly when I shook his hand. "But we love and welcome college students!"

He continued by introducing me to his wife and the co-leaders of the group, all of which had shiny gray hair and bright smiles. This must be it! I thought to myself as I listened to them talk about their loving group. I imagined myself sitting at the feet of these beautiful, elderly lovers of Jesus Christ, and I just knew that I could gain wisdom and encouragement from them.

We have only had three community group gatherings so far, but I already feel a strong connection to the "grandparents" in my community group. Not only do they cook well and send us college students home with great leftovers every week, but they are filled with experience and wisdom that flows out of their mouths whenever they speak.

Just last week, I sat at the dinner table (and ate the best homemade ice cream) next to a woman who is celebrating her nintieth birthday in a few months. As she talked about her life, she incorporated her faith into her story so smoothly, as if she simply could not talk about her story without talking about her Lord. It amazed me how easily Christ entered the conversation and how comfortable she was with talking about Him.

I want to be like that - so in love with God that when I talk, I can't help but include Him in what I am saying. I want Him to be such a part of my life that leaving Him out of my conversations would be like leaving the sugar out of homemade ice cream.

I am so blessed to be a part of a community of people who are older than me and who love the Lord passionately. They have already encouraged me so much, just by telling me their stories. How active God has been in their lives! They just can't not talk about Him.

Comments

  1. What a great experience to be in this kind of group, Ashli! I hope you will post more about your time with them in the future!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment