Thanksgiving Feast

As Thanksgiving Day approaches, I find myself filled with an unusual attitude of appreciation. I'm almost giddy with gratitude as I tend to notice everything around me for which I am thankful. I'm not normally ungrateful, but something about the holiday season makes me thankful for everything. I'll find myself looking all around me and being thankful for everything I see: the trees in our front yard, my bed, my favorite hot chocolate mug, everything! It may seem silly and childlike, but a simple attitude of thankfulness is a treasure to me.

I've been reading Psalm 119 for the past week, and it is one of the most beautiful passages to be reading around Thanksgiving! You can even read it as if it were a list of things to be thankful for.

Thank you, Lord, that...
"You revive me in your ways..." (v 37)
"You have established your Word to your servant..." (v 38)
"Your ordinances are good..." (v 39)
I am able to "trust in your Word..." (v 42)
Your Word is my "comfort in affliction..." (v 50)

Of all the silly things I am thankful for this season, there is one great treasure for which I am seriously and eternally grateful for: God's wonderful Word, His marvelous revelation.

Imagine your home on Thanksgiving Day. As you welcome each one in your home with a warm smile and tender hug, you smell each delicous dish that they carry. Each of your relatives brings their favorite side item to share with the rest of the family. Everyone brings a little piece of the feast for the joy of the other members. As you enjoy the food, you enjoy the fellowship of eating together.

In the same way, God's Word is a celebratory feast. Jeremiah 15:16 says, "When your words came, I ate them. They were my joy and my heart's delight." God reveals truth and wonders in His Word to each believer individully. Then the body of Christ comes together as each member brings his or her own dish to the table to share with everyone else. It's like a giant feast as everyone celebrates the joy and satisfaction that comes from seeking and finding God's voice through His wonderful Word! And aftwerwards, everyone is free to share recipes as well!

This Thanksgiving, let's thank God from the bottom of our hearts for the Bible, His holy and wonderful Word. As we feast upon turkey, dressing, sweet potatoes, and pumpkin pies, let's remember the satisfaction and joy that come from feasting on His Word daily. And as we enjoy the fellowship of friends and family, let's not forget to bring something to the table - a recipe that reflects how good the Word of God is when it works and speaks into our lives.

Thanks, mom, for your inspiration of this analogy. Thank you for letting God speak to you and then for sharing it with me.

Comments