The Aftermath

The battle was won, the weapons laid down, and the banquet of celebration served. God had delivered His people in a mighty victory! In fact, they collected all the weapons of the enemy and burned them! As I read Ezekiel 39, I pictured this great day of rejoicing: the men return from war, the women and children dance in the streets, the trumpets play as a victory parade marches down the streets of Israel. I can almost see the smiles on everyone's faces, until I get to verse 12:

"For seven months the house of Israel will be burying the dead in order to cleanse the land."

What?! They spent seven months burying the dead? This little verse shattered my day dream of the party day in Israel. If God had brought about such a mighty victory for His people, I wondered why He would leave them with such an ugly task. If I were writing this story, I would dictate that the people of Israel spent seven months celebrating with feasts, concerts, and parties! But the more I meditated on this passage, the more I began to relate to that reality of what God did, to what He was trying to teach His people.

Our struggles are battles, and I praise Him for the victory He gives us over our enemies when we trust in Him and wait for Him. However, the battle is not over when the enemy is defeated. I have learned that the hard way. When the firing ceases and the weapons are dropped, you are still left to bury the dead.

When I struggled with an eating disorder, I rejoiced on the day that I was released from the clinic because I thought the battle was over. With all my heart, I believe and declare that God delivered me from my eating disorder, but the fighting was not over when I walked out the door of the doctor's office. It's been over seven months since I was released from the help center, but I'm still picking up the dead. I'm still adjusting my diet, conquering negative thoughts, and picking up the pieces from the battle.

May this simple message not be disheartening, but encouraging and motivating. God commands victories for His children and carries them out with strength and glory! For that, let's celebrate! But I have learned that in the midst of the celebration, you must begin the clean up process. And may you never forget that the God who brings the victory helps you clean up the mess and bury the rotten remains of the battle.

In the aftermath of the battle, I've spent too much time stepping around the dead. It's time to bury them! I'm adopting Psalm 118:10 as my battle cry: "In the name of the Lord I will cut them off!" In the name of the Lord, let's celebrate the victories He accomplishes in us, but at the same time, let's work to bury the remains, to cut off the enemy, and to destroy any strongholds still left from the fighting.

Comments