Ministry Moments

There's a first time for everything, including playing bananagrams...in French! Which reminds me, I need to see if they actually make that game in French, because we need some letters with accents and a few more Qs. 

We have four young ladies in our young scholars program that attend a special dormitory-like school where they study and sleep and live all in the same place. He guidelines are strict, and the girls aren't allowed to leave unless given special permission, which is why we don't get to see them that much. It's also why Suzanne and I choose to go see them every Saturday, a decision that we made not too long ago. Last Saturday, in fact. 

I stuffed bananagrams and my Bible in my kavu sack (what else do you need?), and then went to their school where we spent two and a half hours attempting to explain and play bananagrams in French. Needless to say, the girls absolutely loved it. Meanwhile, we talked and laughed and helped each other make words. 


Towards the end, we tried a variation of the game. "What's one of your favorite verses?" I asked as I pulled out my Bible. One of the girls piped up and suggested Psalm 23:1. I read it from my Bible and had her write it on the chalkboard so everyone could see it clearly.

"L'Éternel est mon berger; je ne manquerai de rien." 

"The Lord is my shepherd. I shall not want." 

"Now, let's use all the letters in front of us to work together to spell this verse," I instructed, and we let the girls practice teamwork and also memorization skills as they repeated the words and phrases over and over. 

After they finished, we asked them what this verse means to them, and then we asked them to share how they have seen the Lord as their shepherd in their own personal lives. 

One moment, we were just spelling words and playing bananagrams. The next moment, we were talking about Jesus and listening to these girls open up their hearts and share their lives. 

I love it when that happens. I love it when the normal becomes the spiritual. The superficial becomes meaningful. Something holy arises in a common place. 

I love it when games are played, laughter is shared, stories are told, lives are laid open, and Jesus is present. It simply reminds me that in every activity is an opportunity. Every moment is ministry.

Comments