No Good Thing Does He Withhold

"Is there any pleasure on earth so great as a circle of Christian friends by a fire?" 

This quote by C.S. Lewis is possibly my favorite one. He said a lot of deep theological things, but these words ring true to my heart more than anything else he ever said. It's simple, but it's so true. 

I know this because I went camping this last weekend at one of my favorite places in the whole world - the Buffalo River Valley. I arrived at camp early in the afternoon and enjoyed riding my bike, setting up camp, laying around in my hammock, building a little fire, and getting out the hotdogs and s'mores. But something was still missing, and camp wasn't complete until two cars pulled up and eight friends got out. 

Soon, the sound of the crackling fire was covered up by talking and laughing. The lonely campsite turned warm with friendship. We sat around the campfire until late in the night, just sharing life together. 

There truly is no pleasure on earth like a circle of brothers and sisters in Christ around a campfire...or just around camp for that matter. Maybe it's the coolness of the autumn air mixed with the warmth of a glowing fire. Maybe it's the light of the stars and the orange glow on faces. Perhaps it is hot chocolate in the morning and log hikes in the afternoon. Maybe it is the simplicity of life in the woods or the seemingly slower passing of time. Or perhaps it is just the fact that God is present in his creation, and he is even more present in his community. When you combine the two, it's just awesome. 

After the crew left on Saturday, I had a chance to spend one more night by myself. Taking the chance for some solitude after an exhausting week, I embraced the opportunity as a spiritual retreat. 

Just as Christian community blessed my heart this weekend, so also my time alone with Jesus strengthened my soul. I keep trying to figure out if I am introvert or an extrovert...they say it is determined by where you gather your strength. The truth is, I gather my strength in Christ, which is experienced in both solitude and community. 

Camping came at a good time for me. This week I experienced a spiritual attack on all sides. For the first time, I felt like maybe I did not want to go to Africa. And it was such a strange, fearful feeling. God has filled my life here in Little Rock with so many good things that I began to suffer the grief of saying goodbye to all of it. The enemy then played on my weakness and poured many doubts and fears into my mind.

I had recently asked the Lord to strengthen my faith, but I didn't know he was going to do it like this. 

In my moments of weakness and unfaithfulness because of my doubt, I didn't know what to do except cry out to the Lord. And go camping. 

Through the mountains and the river and the stars, he spoke to me. Through friends and fellowship and quiet solitude, he reminded me of what is true. 

The truth is God has given me many good gifts - an amazing family to live with, great friends to fellowship with, beautiful churches to worship with, wonderful places to serve, and many hobbies that I enjoy. As I thanked him for these gifts, he asked me, are you willing to give it all away for me? And I answer with a resounding yes because he is worthy. He has shown me that each of these gifts is like a going-away present. I get to enjoy them thoroughly for a time, yet hold them loosely so that I can place them back in is hands when January comes. I am asking the Lord to place these gifts in a treasure box that can be reopened when I hopefully return one day. 

I feel that God has made a specific, personal promise to me. As much as I love my life here, he has promised that what I will experience in Africa will be better! I am reminded of this by my favorite Psalm, Psalm 84, where the psalmist wrote, "No good thing does he withhold." What a perfect promise! God does not withhold good things from us! He has withheld nothing good from me here, and he will continue to lavish me with good gifts in Burkina as well. I find great hope and delight in such a promise. 

I did not mean for this post in particular to be so personal, but every once in while the Spirit prompts me to be real with whoever may be reading. I want you to know from such a story as this that when we are weak, God is strong. When we are unfaithful in our doubts and uncertainties, God is faithful to speak truth over our fears. He is faithful to steady our anxious hearts. He is as steadfast as the mountains, as peaceful as rivers, as beautiful as twinkling stars, as gentle as an autumn breeze, and as bright as a warm fire. He is able to strengthen us through both solitude and community. He does not withhold any good thing, and he is so very worthy to receive all our sacrifices and all our love. 

Comments