How Pleasant and Fitting

When I was a little girl and would go shopping with my mom, I remember how she would sit outside the dressing room and beg me to come out and model each outfit as I tried it on. When I found just the right one, something that fit well and looked nice, she would say, "That befits you!" 

"Befit" is probably not a word that you use everyday. I sure don't. In fact, the only time I hear it used is when people are talking about the way clothes fit. I find it unique and interesting that the Psalm-writer uses the same terminology to talk about praising God. 

"How good it is to sing praise to our God. How pleasant and fitting to praise him!" (Psalm 147:1)

In other words, praise is befitting on the Lord. It fits well and looks good on him! 

Everytime we worship the Lord, we clothe him in garments of praise and adoration. And when we do, he looks stunning and brilliant, radiant and gorgeous. His praise is glorious, and it fits him just right. 

I am learning another truth that goes right along with this. Praise is not befitting on me. When I dress myself in the praise that belongs to God, it doesn't fit. I don't look good in it. Even when other people dress me in God's praise and I accept it, it still just doesn't sit quite right. So I begin to wonder, why would I steal the clothes that fit another so perfectly when they don't even look good on me? I wouldn't do that in real life, and I certainly don't want to do it with the praise that belongs to my master. 

Oh how good it is to sing praise to our God. How pleasant and fitting to praise him!

He alone is worthy of our worship and adoration, and it is both pleasurable and fitting to bestow all our best praises upon him. He looks absolutely amazing in our garments of praise, which were tailored to fit him and no other. Praise befits him, so let's strip ourselves of the praises that do not fit, and let's place them on the one who looks so stunning. 

Comments