Made to Do

The sun setting behind the mountains illuminated the clouds against the dark silhouette of sharp peaks. A winding stream glistened, reflecting the fading sunlight as it wandered through a meadow of waving grass and blooming wildflowers. I sat on a rock at the top of a small hill overlooking the meadow, breathing deeply of crisp, alpine air of Rocky Mountain National Park. My thoughts automatically drifted to the Lord. How could they not in the presence of such majesty, beauty, and glory? 

Sometimes I enjoy nature; other times I am overwhelmed by it. This was one of those times. It was like I could feel the breath of God in the breeze, see his fingerprint in the mountain ridges and valleys, and see his eyes twinkle in the stars as they began to pop out. 

What is the purpose of these mountains, these valleys, these waterfalls and tucked-away lakes, except to exalt the one who made them? "Nature is not primarily functional," John Eldridge said, "it is primarily beautiful." Their exhilarating beauty points to the brilliant beauty of the one who made them, the creator and sustainer of the entire universe. 

That's their primary purpose, and just look at them. They fulfill it so well, so perfectly. 




They are doing what they were made to do.

So what about me? What is my purpose, and is it really that different from the mountains? Just like the birds and the trees and the mountain streams, my purpose is to exalt God and make him look beautiful. Just like them, I want people to look upon me and their thoughts to automatically drift towards the Lord. I want them to see me and think of him. I want their hearts to be drawn to a greater creator, a beautiful and loving savior.

Some may see me and refuse to believe, just like some see creation and refuse to accept a creator. But others may look at me and let their breath be taken away by the beauty of the creator. That's the kind of worshipper I want to be. 

Sometimes I feel like a strong mountain, other times like a glowing sunset, and still sometimes like a tiny wildflower. But all are beautiful each in their own way, and all demonstrate the glory of God.

Unlike creation, God has given us, his people, a special voice. We don't just sit there like mountains, or wander by like streams. Unlike creation, we have been made in the image of God. I am not sure that I understand entirely what that means, but I think it has to do with the fact that we are relational and emotional creatures, created to be in community, to have certain tasks and roles to which we are assigned and specific gifts we are given in order to being God glory. All this makes us able to be in relationship with God and each other in an extraordinary way. When done authentically and in love, this too brings God glory and makes him look beautiful. 

Just don't forget that in all our roles, all our tasks, all our gifts, and all our relationships - all those things that are the image of God marked on us and that set us apart from creation - we only have one foundational purpose - to magnify the beauty of Christ and point other people to him. That's what we are made to do. 

May it be said of us that the beauty of the creator shines brightly in our faces, in our relationships, in our reactions and responses, in our words and actions, and in everything that we are and do. When people see us, may their thoughts drift to the Lord that they may praise him. May we be a glorious sunset, a shouting mountain, a wandering stream, and a delicate wildflower...all for the beauty of God. 

Comments