Bucket List

Maybe it was peer pressure. Maybe I was inspired by the Tour de France. Maybe it was pure spontaneity. Or absurdity. More than likely, it was a combination of all of the above that prompted me to register for my first 100 mile bike race. 

I don't know how often you ride your bike, but 100 miles is kind of a long way, especially for someone like me, who is no expert athlete and has never riden more than 30 miles on my own at one time.

"Are you sure you don't want to start with something like 60 miles?" My dad asked me (which is probably smart thinking).

"Nope!" I quickly responded with the go-big-or-go-home attitude. 

The truth is, my time left in the United States is going by fast, and I have made a bucket list of things that I want to do before I leave next year.

Some things are challenging, like riding in a 100 mile bike race and taking a French class. Other things are simple, like going to see the free movie in the park downtown and getting my favorite ice cream in a big waffle cone. Most things are relational, like traveling to Nashville and Siloam Springs to visit college friends, taking some friends who are new to Arkansas to my favorite place on the Buffalo River, and renting kayaks for a fall float trip with my camping buddies. I want to go camping with my family, run in the color run, snow ski, and watch the sunrise from the top of pinnacle mountain. 

As I plan to live it up this fall and work as hard as I can to spend as much time as possible with the people I love, I realize this: Shouldn't we always be living this way? 

It's so fun! Making big plans, doing big things, living as if time were short, and making the most of every opportunity. I love when the normal excuses we make (work, busyness, procrastination ) lose legitimacy, and we become free to live out our buckets lists. 

My favorite scripture in the entire Bible is John 10:10, where Jesus says, "I have come that they may have life and have it to the full." Full and abundant life isn't about climbing mountains, riding in races, or taking trips. It is not even about adventurous, risks, or bucket lists. The full and abundant life that Jesus is talking about comes from loving him with all your heart and living all your days out of that love. When you do, you will find yourself in deep and meaningful relationship with God and with others. And then you will probably find yourself riding bikes, watching sunrises, kayaking, and sipping coffee across the table from your best friends. That's what happens when you know Christ and find abundant life in him - it spills over into every relationship, every activity, and every day. 

Thank you, Jesus, for the full and abundant life that we find in you only. Let us live our lives to the fullest out of full love for you. Give us the courage to do the things that really matter, and to postpone or even give up the things that really don't. Give us dreams, ideas, adventures, and bucket lists. Give us people to venture out with. Make our relationships deep, meaningful, and purposeful for your kingdom and glory. Let us never journey anywhere without you. 

Comments