Come Away

"I got you an early birthday present!" My dad told me over the phone. 

"Oh boy!" I replied, "I hope it is something for our backpacking trip this weekend! Maybe something to do with my hammock?" 

"I'm not telling," he replied (which totally means yes). So I smiled and told him I couldn't wait. 

My dad and I have been in the process of conversion. We are switching over from tent camping to hammock camping, which I have termed "campocking". Sure enough, my sweet dad got me an early birthday present of a rain fly and possum pouch for my hammock, and we got to test it out this past weekend on our father-daughter backpacking trip. 


(And no, the rabbit did not get to go with us...although we joked about getting a hammock for him too)

There is something about the woods that brings peace to the soul. Maybe it's the bright lime green underbrush that covers the forest floor like a clean, fresh blanket and seems to glow when the sun hits it just right. Or maybe it's the cool creek water on hot feet that have been walking all day. Maybe it is watching the sun sink over the rolling mountains and seeing the stars pop out one by one until you think there is no room in the sky for any more. 

There is something peaceful about getting away from the cell phone and computer and just being surrounded by singing birds and chirping crickets. There is something refreshing about hanging a hammock and swinging yourself to sleep while the campfire dies down. There is something healing about living in those moments one at a time. One at a time. 

And that's what I did this past weekend - I lived in the moment. Sometimes I need a camping trip in order to reflect on the past season of my life and sort through things that have been happening. In those times, camping brings closure. Other times, I need a camping trip in order to contemplate the future and pray over upcoming decisions. In those times, camping brings peace. And then sometimes, I need a good camping trip in order to stop thinking about the past and future and instead just enjoy the moment. 

I love how God reveals himself through his creation, and I love how he calls me out into it every once in a while just to be with him. I love how he brings peace to my past, peace to my future, and peace to my present through the beauty of nature. 

In all this, I realize that there is a time to contemplate the past. There is a time to pray over the future. And there is a time to embrace the moment without letting it be affected by the past or the future. 

I was challenged this week by a question. Would God be able to speak to you if you wanted him to? In other words, do you have enough space and room in your life to hear from him? Or are we so busy with the fast pace of life that we wouldn't have time to hear God's voice? We have to have two things: a desire to hear from him and room enough in our lives to hear him speak when he does. 

What time is it for you? Is it time to ponder the past, pray over the future, or embrace the present? Do you have room enough in your life to hear from the Lord in regard to these things? Perhaps it is time to create some intentional time and space just to come away with the Lord and hear from him. You might hear him in the chirping birds, creek cascades, or the breeze through the trees. You will definitely hear him through his words in the Bible. 

And if you need a hammock, let me know. I can hook you up with all the extras, too. I call it a "holy hammock" because God uses it time and time again to draw me away from the busyness of life and into his peaceful arms. I would be happy to share a piece of those experiences with you. But it's not the hammock that is holy, it's the one who meets me there. He is the one who understands our past, present, and future. And he is the one who speaks truth, hope, and peace into our lives at just the right time when we need it. So come away and make some room; God is wanting to meet with us and speak life to our souls.

Comments

  1. I thought that was a giant rabbit in the background. But thanks for the reminder of the necessity of Sabbath.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment