Openhanded

Over the past few months, I have discovered the many perks of being a nurse rather than a nursing student.  For example, I get to take care of real people without doing 20 hours of paperwork on their case. I get to study the things that are relevant in my field without writing papers and taking exams. And then, instead of paying to go to school, I get paid for what I love to do. And let me add to that...the pay is not too bad.

When I opened my first check, I think my mouth dropped open and my eyes popped out of my head. I have held a few jobs in my life, but I am pretty sure the number on this first check surpassed all my previous earnings put together.

What does a single girl who shares a small apartment and only has two bills - water and electric - do with money like this? Please don't hear me bragging; I am just being honest. I am certainly not the richest girl in the world, but sometimes it feels like it because I have never had money like this.

The nurses at work ask me, "What is going to be your first big purchase now that you are actually making money?" I thought about getting a piano. "I bought a new car!" one nurse said. "I know what you need - an iphone!" another nurse added because they think its funny that I still haven't gotten on the smart phone bus.

A friend of mine recently  talked to me about finances. "Don't forget to start thinking about retirement. You really need to be saving some money." She proceeded to recommend some programs and accounts for me to consider starting up.

In all this, another's voice had something entirely different to say. And it was His voice that struck my heart the most.

"So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets as the hypocrites do in the synagogue and on the streets to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your right hand know what your left hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." (Matthew 6:2-4)

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steals. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven where moth and rust do not destroy and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Matthew 6:19-21)

In a world that says save, save, save; God says give, give, give. We are tempted to save our money and accumulate wealth so that we can ensure a safe and comfortable life and then spend our money when we need to and want to. But where does God ever call us to do that?

God says that safety and security don't come from having a secure savings account; it comes from being in His arms. And I am not so sure I want to live a safe, comfortable, secure life by the standards of this world after all.

God says that He is our treasure. Knowing Him is our greatest reward. He is our greatest possession. We don't need money to make us feel secure or complete or happy or safe. Worry-free living doesn't come from having a little extra in the bank account. It comes from knowing Christ.

So God is teaching me to be openhanded. It's not like I need to save a certain amount and then start giving. I can give right now. In Malachi 3:10, God encourages us to give with the promise that He will provide everything we need and more. "Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse that there may be food in my house. 'Test me in this,' says the Lord Almighty, 'and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you won't have room enough for it.' "

And you know what? It's fun! It is so fun to give generously and live simply on the side. This is a pattern that I want to keep for the rest of my life.

What does openhandedness look like for you? Maybe you are like me and have very few commitments, but maybe you have a family and people who depend on your income. The words of Christ are the same to both of us: Be openhanded.

This may look different for different people. It may mean giving away half your income, or it may mean paying for your friend's lunch when you take him out to eat. It may mean cutting out a few things so that you can live more simply and give more freely. It may be a change in attitude as you realize that the size of your savings account has nothing to do with your sense of security. It may look like releasing financial worries and giving more time to the people you love.

Now is the time to give openhandedly and trust God to open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you won't know what to do with it all. This Christmas season, may we all discover the joy that comes from giving generously and trusting Christ as your highest treasure.

Comments