Invitation

I did not feel like I normally do when I drive to work. Despite my unusual emotions, I was prompted to pray as I always do before going into the hospital each evening.

"Lord, I really don't want to be doing this right now," I sighed. My family was back at home, getting ready to go out to dinner with a group of friends. Honestly, I wanted to be there with all of them. "But I feel guilty because I have only been working at this job for a few months. I should still be really excited to go to work, right? But God, right now I just don't want to go." Up until this point, going in to work each time was a new adventure. I couldn't wait to see what kind of patients I would have and what I would learn while caring for them. My throat kind of hurt as I prayed these last words: "...and tonight, I kind of hope we don't have any patients. I'm just tired and don't feel like doing anything."

I let out a long breath that I had been holding in for too long, and waited for God's response to such an atypical prayer of mine.

If you were sitting at the dinner table with your friends and family right now, and I invited you to get up and attend a delivery for someone who needs you tonight, would you do it?

Tears welled up in my eyes as I saw myself gladly getting up from the table to do what I love to do - be there for women and families as they witness the miracle of God bringing a new life into the world.

Someone at the hospital needs you to be there for them tonight. I am inviting you to come.

With that, I pulled my car into the parking lot, marched onto the unit, swiped my badge, and got ready to work...or should I say ready to serve?

As it turns out, God knew exactly where He wanted me to be, and I was assigned to a patient that was going through a significant loss - one that I cannot even imagine - and just around Christmas time. Although I felt inadequate to help her cope with her grief, I felt that my calling was to be the sweetest source of comfort that I could possibly be. My whole world revolved around her and her family that night.

When my time with her was finished, I moved her into a different room and helped her get settled in. Just before I turned to leave, she said to me, "You have been an angel."
Knowing that I am in no way an angel, I turned around to face her, and I chose my words carefully. "To tell you the honest truth..." I paused before continuing, "I didn't even want to come to work tonight. But I always pray before I come here, so I was praying this afternoon when God told me that He had someone here tonight that needed comfort. I think He was telling me about you. I believe that He is looking after you."

I wonder what would happen if I chose to see things in my life as invitations from God. Even more than that, I wonder what would happen if I always chose to say yes to those invitations. What if I chose to get up from the table that represents what I want to be doing and chose to show up for the things God is calling me to be there for.

Inconveniences would become opportunities to share Christ with people. Struggles become chances to glorify Him. Conflict turns into a time to live out the meaning of the gospel through showing grace.

I think that every day Jesus invites us to see the things that happen in our lives in a new way. He invites us to see something more. He invites us to live life to the full, to be in relationship with people, and to ultimately share the beauty of Him and His kingdom with the people around us.

Now that's an invitation that you don't want to turn down.

Comments