Try Something New

Shine"Just wait until you see this!" my mom said as she lifted the trunk and pulled out a bright orange, vintage golf bag that looked like it came right out of the 70's.

Actually, it did. I just did the math. My mom took one golf class in college, which automatically qualifies her to teach me to play, right?

"This is the best idea we've ever had!" I exclaimed as we walked onto the first tee-off. After a three-minute lesson, I was ready to go like a pro.

We dug out an old, yellowed golf ball from the bag, and we found some splintered, half-disintegrated tees in a pocket, too. My mom took a big swing and landed her golf ball about forty feet away and already off the course. We both doubled over laughing, gasping to breathe.

After my abs recovered from that, I moved the tee up to the closest edge, hoping I could make it farther than mom. Just a few feet away from me, the course started to roll down into a small pond. I took my first swing and whiffed it just enough to tap the golf ball and set it rolling down the hill. It was a beautiful, hearty swing...and a perfect putt right into the pond. I immediately dropped the club and chased the ball, trying to catch or kick it before it hit the water, but I was just not fast enough. Plink. We both doubled over in laughter again.

The funny thing is, we didn't get much better after that. Every swing brought another fit of laughter, and it took us almost two hours to play three holes.

I was originally inspired to play golf because I watched "The Greatest Game Ever Played" around the same time that I moved to an apartment complex with a golf course included. Needless to say, my first attempt was by far the worst game ever played. But no one has ever had any more fun than my mom and I did that day.

Trying new things is one of those things that makes life worth living. The fun and joy of trying something new far outweighs the embarrassment of being terrible at it. I think sometimes people make excuses about not trying new things because they are afraid of embarrassment, failure, taking a risk, or stepping outside their comfort zones. But then they miss out on gut-wrenching laughter and memories that last a lifetime. Living life every day can be an adventure if only we take the risk to try something new.

God wakes us up every day and invites us to live life with adventure. He invites us to try new things. We can choose to make excuses, or we can pick up the clubs and give it a go. God is with us, showing us how to play this game of life (only He created and sustains life, so He's a much better teacher than my mom). He is there by us when we mess things up, and He shows us how to do better next time. It's not about being good enough to make a hole in one, but about being bold and fearless enough to accept the invitation to play. God is good enough, and we will have the time of our lives playing alongside Him.

"But what will people think?" we often ask when invited to try something new. The same hesitation exists when God invites us to live life with adventure and try new things. But even in our silly game of golf, the people who watched us playing our hearts out and having so much fun were inspired to loosen up and enjoy the game a little bit more. It's the same with life and faith. The people watching us will smile when they see how joyfully we live with Jesus, and they will want to live life with Him, too.

God is inviting us all to try new things, to live life purposefully and adventurously every day. Maybe its talking more openly about Him with the people you interact with. Maybe it is serving your family in a new way. Maybe it is interacting with your coworkers in a new way. Maybe it is even worshiping in a new way.

Grab your clubs, swing that bag over your shoulder, and say yes to the invitation to play.

Comments